What do you think of the GUESTS MENTION section on the listing page highlighting reviews?

Jennifer178
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

What do you think of the GUESTS MENTION section on the listing page highlighting reviews?

For the first time today I saw extra info for guests on my listing page.  It is called GUESTS MENTION.  It is right under my star ratings but above my reviews.  If you click on a category it highlights reviews where certain words are used.  I looked at many hosts' pages and Location, Comfortable, Cleanliness are pretty much standard across the board.  But some might have Transportation, Bed, Pets, Safety, Kitchen, etc while others do not.

At first I was looking at the listings of some of our most frequent posters with great reviews, David you need to give Shadow a cut of your earnings, but then started randomly looking up cities and looking for people with 4 star overall ratings.  It is only bad if you have negatives mentioned in the body of the review itself.  If you got 3 stars for something and it is not mentioned in the review, it does not seem to have any effect.

I can only find it for the United States. I checked Vancouver, Mexico City, London, Amsterdam, Paris, Cape Town and Mt Barker Australia and it is not there.

Size can be triggered by: large, spacious, size, small.  Cleanliness triggered by neat, clean, tidy, grimy. Location by downtown, area, neighborhood.

Has this been here for a while and I did not see it? I like it.  It gives people a chance to see a variety of my reviews without having to go through all of them if they do not feel like it.

Guests Mention, 
Location (18),
Comfortable (9),
Cleanliness (8),
Communication (7),
Walking (7),
Check-in/out (6),
Privacy (6),
Bathroom (4),
Shopping (4),
Size (3)
8 Replies 8
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jennifer178 I looked at your listing and I don't see it. There is just a "search reviews" field near your star ratings

Dobry vecer @Branka-and-Silvia0,  I just founs out that is is only when I am using Google Chrom.  When I use Mozilla Firefox it is not there. I had both browsers open and went back and forth.  I looked at some of the regulars and we are all only showing this extra goodie/demon in Chrom.  Please try that.

@Jennifer178 I am using chrome, but Airbnb is probably testing it so it shows and hides randomly. When you will clear cache and cookies it will change, you will maybee see it on Firefox or not see it at all and vice versa

Hi @Branka-and-Silvia0, I was in incognito mode when I saw all of this.  When I am just looking the regular way, it is not there.

yes, it is A/B testing, ABB does it often ,

I don't know what to think about it... it is a good idea but guests does not read anything, neither the description nor the house rules... would they search for particular words in reviews? I doubt it...

Agreed that they do not read.  But if the size of the place was really important to me or the ability to walk eveywhere, I would click on those options since Airbnb did the work for me and I do not have to search every review for opinions on those subjects.  This will be great for most and bad for some.  It will be interesting to see what they do with this. It will probably be gone tomorrow never to be seen again. 

Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

@Jennifer178 - good post! I saw this mentioned by someone else last week and thought it a bit crazy then - so will be interested in other views. I am not sure what the point is. Are ABB really thinking that guests even read that much - let alone trying to interpret whether guests mentioning 'size' is referring to the stunningly decorated spacious place they are renting for a fraction of its true worth - or that the host has a tiny apartment sized oven?

Just let the potential booker read what they want read and stop tinkering with things.

and last but not least - if ABB are going to 'trial' something - they should have the respect to at least send the guinea pig host a quick message informing them!

Best Wishes.

So true so true @Rachael26.  When you have a chance  do an incognito search for your place.  The sentance that counts as a mention of size for me could be something as simple as, "The Liberty Bell is really large."  It can be that generic. Or Comfort could be,    " I ate so much at the restaurant my host recommended that I felt uncomfortable."

We shall see my friend.