fee for guests

Answered!
Miha2
Level 2
Piran, Slovenia

fee for guests

hi there. how much in % do you pay as a guest to airbnb? thank you for the answer. 

1 Best Answer
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Miha2,

Typing "fee" in the help search box showed the following article.

It gives a guide on the service fees payed by guests.

What are guest service fees?

Steve.

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Miha2,

Typing "fee" in the help search box showed the following article.

It gives a guide on the service fees payed by guests.

What are guest service fees?

Steve.

Thank you Steve!

Another thing Steve please. What does it mean Level 10? Thanks

for the reply. 

Hello @Miha2,

The levels go from 1, at the start, to 10 based just the number of times someone posts or answers a question.

It's not based on assessment so doesn't mean that the person's answers are always sensible or right 🙂

Steve

Judy1
Level 5
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Miha2,

Guest service fees are typically 6-12% but can be higher or lower depending on the specifics of the reservation. The higher the subtotal, the lower the percentage so the guest can save money when booking large reservations.

You can see service fees in your booking details before a guest confirms their booking. 

Cheers,

Judy 

Hi Judy. 

Thanks for the info. That was my idea too. But today one of guests aksed me in inquiry if I he can get some discount (special offer) on his final price of 930€. My payout before any fee was 750€. 180€ difference! 6-12%? In details you can see only host fee not guests. Or...?

Best.

Miha

Oh that has happened to almost all of us; where the guest asks for a discount because the service fee is high. This is what I explain to them: "The service fee is the amount charged to you by Airbnb. It is not something the host has any control over unfortunately. That fee goes to Airbnb and not the host." 

Unfortunately, even if you do give the guest a slight discount, the service fee percentage might still be the same. Oh and with regards to seeing the service fee percentage, I think the guest can see that on their end of things right before processing the transaction. 

Also, just based on my experience, guests who keep pushing for discounts are usually the more demanding and often troublesome ones. lol

Cheers,

Judy 

Thank for your time Judy. All the best to you... 😉

I had the exact same problem! Twice!

I Have sent _6_ requests (see below) to AirBnb Management at:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

without so much as a single response!!

I hate to say it but I'm beginning to think that AirBnB is being intentionally deceptive and underhanded on the this guest surcharge issue.

FWIW I also have a VRBO (HomeAway) account. They disclose their charges honestly and with no hassle.

My prior message (sent _6_ times!)

---

AirBnb Management at:

After more than a year as a Superhost, I just became aware that AirBnB is charging my guests an additional 13% on top of the fees I have offered to the public! I am sure you will respond that “This is explained in your intro package” or some such nonsense, but I consider your failure to disclose these charges plainly and clearly to me, on each reservation,  to be downright deceptive. It reflects very poorly on AirBnb in my opinion and smacks of intentional dishonesty.

Further, I just spent over an hour discussing this issue (with two different Allyssia’s) on the support line and was told that the only way for me to determine what _my_ guests are actually being charged is to log in, as a prospective traveler, and book a fake reservation! Are you _kidding_ me??!! If AirBnb has any modicum of honestly and fair play, you should immediately begin disclosing all actual charges on the reservation. Failing this, I consider your pricing and disclosure methodology dishonest, deceptive, and possibly illegal.

I am sincerely hoping that this incredible shortcoming in AirBnB disclosure is simply an oversite, that this message will result in the immediate correction of the matter and that, henceforth, my reservations will reflect the accurate amounts my guests are being charged, including any and all AirBnB fees, clearly and with no confusion or deception.

Please let me know of your response to my request ASAP.

Mark Panattoni

14252 Culver Dr. #328

Irvine,

CA 92604

MPanattoni@Yahoo.com

I have been trying to find the actual guess receipt for over an hour so I can see the actual

percentage my guest/me paid to airbub  with no result, 

Airbnb has hidden costs, the 6 to 12 % or higher all sounds like a scam, they bill in

the dark so its very difficult to get the actual bill my total booking was 3,912 and I

am only receiving 2,816.00 approx. taxes 276.00 host fee 118.00 so is the guess/me

paying another 500.00 approx in service fees that sounds about 12 % the highest 

number my guest is staying 40 nights is that not considered a long stay SCAM SCAM
SCAM avelino

I agree.  Anyone have experience with vrbo, to share.

Patrick22
Level 2
Kent, WA

I am not happy with the ~13% fee we have paid to airbnb as guests.  As a host we are getting more complaints on the airbnb fees and losing some guests, and getting frequent requests for discounts to offset the airbnb fees.  We will start using vrbo for travel and explore listing with them.  As a host, airbnb also charges their 3% on my cleaning fee.  Why?  I cannot discount what I pay the housecleaner.  A direct extra cost to us.  We list 2 homes.  Darla

Nicki12
Level 2
Wellington, New Zealand

Am new to hosting on Air BnB and my first punter is already having trouble with the fees- please can someone explain ?

"Curious as to why the service fee increased from $38 to $45 after I logged into my account. It was initially $19 per night. Do you know why? Would prefer the lower amount ... really not sure why we are charged this on top. Is it the airbnb service fee? (we had a gift credit of $45. perhaps they increase the service fee if the customer has a gift credit?
I wonder if airbnb Website has bugs (faults) because at different times as I was booking, the daily rate showed as $150, $151, and $154!! I closed and reopened your listing to get back to $150 but couldn't get the service fee back to $18 per night. Please do query this with Airbnb and ask them to refund me $5!!"

Please can someone help me reply to these issues . Also, if necessary, how do I go about applying for a $5 refund from Air BnB if it is valid ? I seem to spen ages going round in circles trying to find my way around  on the site, to little or no avail. I couldn't even figure out how to ask this question in the right place !

Marcia122
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

my guests would like us to pay all fees, how can I calculate what the guest fees would be or is there somewhere that I can see that as well as a host?