My account has been closed

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

My account has been closed

This is partly to say goodbye to all the other Hosts I have interacted with and also give you a heads up. Firstly thanks for all your help over the last 3 years.

I listed on ABB 3 years ago, firstly with one room, then added 2 more and finally a 4th a month or so ago.

I have had around 1,000 bookings, 700 reviews and 400 5 star reviews and my rating was 4.7.

Superhost

Had one extenuating circumstances single night cancellation 18 months ago Burst pipe.

Use instant Book from about a month after I listed, I accept Dogs etc so no issues with any of ABB policies.

I have been super busy this summer, not sure when the last time was I had a night to myself,  and last weekend was our main event in town.

Most days I get a booking, but a lot of people book a week or 2 out and of late I have not had much availability.

A week ago a guest told me that she could nto find me on the AirBnB site, everyting was working fine from my end, I logged out and searched and could not find me either.

So I contacted ABB forst through the Help function , they were very responsive, congratulated me on all my good reviews etc etc, could see there was an issue bit would need to refer it, this went on for a few hours and they could get no feeback from the team that would handle it.

Couple of days later I tried Twitter, similar deal, your Manager will contact you by email.

Yesterday I tried agian, went through the same thing.

In the meantime I had Guests stay, I was paid, reviews done. All was normal.

Then I received the standard we are closing your account and not telling you why message I have seen many times on here.

Fortunately I am pretty easy to find with a Google search and most of my bookings have already contacted me and I have made other arrangements. I knew I was exposed mainly using one provider, ABB was the only site I used, I have friends, people I know stay with me. direct

I had also looked into what to do going forward and have now put the wheels in motion.

Why, well I do not know, I can think of only 2 reasons:

- My participation on here - but that seems unlikely, but not impossible.

- There was some technical glitch on my listing that disappeared me from the search function and it was easier for the person to just delete my account than sort it. I am inclined to believe this which is of course a sad indictment.

I am realistic, even with all my booking ABB probably made $2,000 a year from me, I am hardly of consequence to them.

Fortunatley this did not happen in June, I can deal with this as things have dipped, the Schools have gone back and to be honest I need a breather, has been a long summer.

My Guests were told ABB had cancelled the bookings, there were given the standard 10% credit to be used for another ABB booking and their money back. But not why.

I told them I would honour the price but without the AirBnB fee. I will be increasing my prices.

David
157 Replies 157
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@David126 That is very sad, and scary. If it could happen to you, it could happen to anyone on the platform. I really hope that it was a mistake and you're able to have the account restored. I find it very troubling that they can just pull the rug out like that without even providing an explanation.

Unique listings like yours are what makes Airbnb interesting. I'm sure that you will find success with your hotel, with or without Airbnb, but it will be a poorer place without you.

@Alexandra316

That you for your kind comments, fortunately I do have a plan B. We had an interesting weekend as you can see, next year hopefully the locomotive will be going past the Hotel.

IMG_20180818_085420076.jpg

David

@David126 That's very cool!

A note of humor in a situation I find troubling; that your account was closed and the (lack of) discernable circumstances created by an inhuman algorhythm (and perhaps a lazy human) as has previously happened to many who utilize websites that begin small with amazing ethos and customer service when they get too big, want to contain staffing costs, and resort to mathematical formulas which claim to be perfect in an imperfect world...

I'm definitely looking waaaaay back, and LM_O as I remember...

The architecture and camera angle in the image of your place reminds me of a "Britcom" called "Fawlty Towers" starring John Cleese, a previous member of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" and other familar faces from that era.  Basil Fawlty, Manuel, and the rest expertly rendered several seasons of renewals based on excellent writing and direction of sketches created in the same spirit of parody/spoofing other "sacred cows" as Python did, highlighting the ironies and imperfections of life as a host with delightful layers of humor and wit.  It's a classic every host should find (on the usual huge posting site everyone refers to for music, "how-to"s etc., ending in "tube").  If you're familiar with it watch again, and if you haven't seen it before look it up!  I hope it will make you roll laughing, and at least take your mind off of the frustration and injustice you're facing for awhile.

You may be temporarily impacted by this, but don't let it get you down.  It's one of many sites and if you decide to get creative and expand your sense of humor during your "healing process" from being pigeon-holed by robotic dysfunction,  it could actually become fodder for an episode of an updated version of this show...with a touch of "Portlandia" added (lol)...and be tons more fun and make you far more $$ with far less work than running an inn, once it gets produced and takes hold.

(Now I'm inspired, so LMK if you {or maybe several of us} would like to co-write this 😉

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@David126, sorry to hear this and it is terrible that they can do this with no reason. The fact that nothing negative had happened and no issues were had is frustrating and scary for the rest of us too. It would be nice for Air to be professional and give reasons for such events. 

I am interested but seems everything is automated and whatever triggered this will be forever a mystery, to me anyway.

Yesterday I was annoyed, today well nobody died my business will carry on.

David

@David126, great to have such a very positive outlook.  It seems you have a well established business and you'll continue to prosper. Good luck! 

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@David126

Very sorry to see you are at the receiving end of a not untypical airbnb irrational moment.

I know you are a regular and valued poster here with succinct points always with realistic and pragmatic advice.

If anyone from air reads this, with any influence at all, they would do well to start a campaign to 'save David'.

My best wishes for your place and your business to carry on regardless.

(insert LOL emoji)

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@David126

I am sorry to hear you go, I have only been around for almost 2 years and have always enjoyed your banter and wit.

I do feel Airbnb are losing a great asset and am disappointed that they can give no reason.

Wishing you good luck with other platforms (pun intended) and all the best for the future

Please drop in and let us know how your doing

all the best

Chris

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I'm sorry to hear that, and of course airbnb's kalfkaesque penchant for making decisions where no information is available on 'why' is most troubling.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Thumbs down.

@David126

You (and your sense of humor + insightful posts) will be missed!!! I am very sorry to hear about what happened to you.... and like you said, it can happen to any one of us~which is really scary.

I'm glad that you had a solid backup plan and am sure you will continue to be a great host to a lot of lucky guests regardless of the booking platform 🙂 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @David126 ,

last week I would have written "I can't believe what happened to You"

but today I do believe it.

2 days a go my listing disappeared from search results also. I received a

booking inquiry (not a booking request) from people who wanted to rent

my house for 13 People. But I can only sleep 10 as it says in my listing.

So within 3 hrs I wrote back to them that I cannot host that many people.

A few hours later my listing disappeared from search results. I have no

information from airbnb what's going on.

If anyone of You wants to try to find my listing pls go ahead, I can't find it.

Strange company indeed.