Struggling with reviewing a guest

John-and-Tim0
Level 4
Palm Springs, CA

Struggling with reviewing a guest

We accepted a booking from a guest who had no recommendations from other hosts (part of our IB requirements).  She booked our casita as a surprise for her husband's birthday.  The initial message exchange was great and no red flags were raised.

We were not able to meet them upon their arrival but went to greet them about 3 hours after they arrived.  We had planned on collection our occupancy tax and doing our typical intro to the space.  As we approached the casita, the door was open with the AC full blast - it was 114 out.  The wife answered the door barely able to stand up and slurring her speach.  She admitteded they'd been drinking since they arrived (not a crime, we've all been there).  We gave them a few tips but soon realized that whatever we were saying was not going to be remembered so ended the conversation and wished them a good evening telling them we'd return the next day to collect the tax.  She messaged us about 9.30 that night asking what restaurants were open and that we'd recommend. We responded with a couple we knew were open until 10.00 - there are over 50+ restaurants listed in our House Manual with websites and phone numbers - which she said she read and thank us for making - along with quiet hours and turning off the AC when the doors are open.  At 1.15am we were woken up by splashing in the pool and loud laughter.  We looked out to see them in the pool and the casita door once again wide open.  The next morning the umbrellas were all half opended and there were pool toys in the pool and the yard (from the wind).  We messaged her asking if they would turn off the AC if they wanted to open up the space and to also close the umbrellas when they were finished using the pool.  Late in the afternoon we went to collect the tax and ask how their stay was going.  Again she was unable to string a sentence together or stand up.  We left scratching our heads.  This morning the pool toys were all over the yard and pool again.  They also left the door open this morning. The casita was no more dirty or clean than with other guests.

So, none of these things by themselves is super serious (except maybe being woken at 1.15am!)  but together it left a bad taste in our mouths.  We're grateful that nothing was damaged but we really wouldn't want them to stay with us again.  Somehow I feel hosts' guilt about leaving less than a 5* review.  Or worse yet like an old curmudgeon.  But I think they may fit better in a resort or hotel setting.  

Can my fellow hosts help me with how to rate them?  Is this 5* for everything but House Rules at a 4 or 3? Thumbs down seems overly harsh....

We're stumped.

5 Replies 5
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

5 on communication for somebody you can't collect tax from because they are falling-down drunk? And you must not have close neighbors; somebody who did would have a real problem with the late night noise. Re. thumbs up or down... you said you would not host them again. So say so with your thumb, for other hosts. Please.

Just be factual and honest. If it were me my review would be something like "Communication was fine prior to stay but became very difficult during actual stay. House rules regarding AC usage and quiet time were ignored. Guests showed no effort to ensure safety of home or during use of pool side items. While we are grateful that there was no permanent damage and the home was no more dirty or clean compared to our average guest, based on our experience we feel these guests would be better suited for a resort or hotel with security personnel and would not welcome them back." then 3 stars or less overall (definitely 1 star for house rules) and a thumbs down 🙂

Vicki3
Level 2
Eastsound, WA

If you give a guest a thumbs down, how does it impact their star rating?

@Vicki3 From what I understand thumbs down does not impact the star rating of guests - they are separate. A thumbs down is just merely "not recommending" the guest so they may not be able to IB with hosts who require recommendations from other hosts. The guest can still send inquiries. 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@John-and-Tim0  I just had to give my first thumbs down for a group of guests and 1 star for all categories. I had many issues, which I couldn't very well state though a publically listed review, so I simply said "Unfortunately, I would not host these guests again." The one star sadly will not be seen by future hosts unless they book, but may be a reason to get a penalty free cancellation.