What airbnb told me regarding ID verification

Answered!
Becky19
Level 2
Champaign, IL

What airbnb told me regarding ID verification

After 1 phone call asking about a potential guest being hesitant to verify her ID I was told by the first airbnb staff memeber I spoke to that "even if the credit card information goes through, the reservation would be eventually cancelled untill or unless ID was verfied". I informed the guest and she said she would get back to me tomorrow and due to the time restraints I told her I would cancel and block the days until she decided if she wanted to book or confirm her ID due to "fears of Identity theft". The folllowing day the guest said, "I booked somewhere else that didn't require ID. I again told her what I was told and of course wished her the best, but immediately I called airbnb, this time a different explanation, apparantly, "A GUEST WITHOUT A VERIFIED ID MAY BE ABLE/IS ABLE TO BOOK A FEW TIMES BEFORE THEY ARE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE ID VERIFICATION". This was not the same information provided to me the first time. I just wanted other hosts to know that airbnb is working towards making everyone ID VERIFIED, however, if this situation happens to you maybe this information will be valuable.

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

28 Replies 28

GM, I am having the same problem with my Driver's License. I have several stays from last year and my Driver's License was uploaded front/back in 2019 at that point. However, I made a new booking for a conference in March and Airbnb requested it again without any reason why which I find unacceptable.  Why I am uploading my DL again when I have several stays and great reviews as a guest? There is no explanation and the Airbnb chatbot is of no help. When a real person took over I did not receive a straight answer. 

To be sure, isn't driver license number is public info? Who says driver license issuing and storing agencies aren't hacker target. Water kills yet we all drink!

Just an FYI HERE.  I was planni g to use air bnb (Not Alice and Jeffs)  and have been put off by having to download government ID.   I am not a criminal, and have never been  a problem guest.  I would have no problem showing ID on arrival.  This seems to be how most online bookers, ie airlines, hotels, b and b's   etc.  handle  things.  What I do have is serious and reasonable  concerns about how good security measures are for such sensitive info.  Identity theft is real and people are right to have concerns.

This is absolute nonsense. I am using my passport and all of the proper ID and I'm not a criminal and I doubt the many others I see online who are struggling to get their IDs verified through Airbnb's system are either. The system is buggy. The software does not work correctly. 

Please I need help am having problem with my hosting ID verification and my listings are not showing on airbnb

Maggie107
Level 5
England, United Kingdom

Hi

I am totally new to this and am letting out my very large house for large family gatherings so most of my bookings wold be made well in advance.  I have my first enquiry who started with his profile picture of his dog, he has changed this after I said I was not comfortable with that.  His profile is only his first name but he has explained what the occassion is and the family members that will be staying.  The reservation is not for another 6 months which would be quite normal in my situation.  What I don't know is the following:

a)  Do airbnb verify everyone's id

b)  Is a deposit taken or credit card details

c)  When does the guest actually pay

Think that's it for now but I'm sure I'll have more questions as we go along

Thanks in advance for answers

Maggie

Hi @Maggie107

Well your question A is answered in the thread already.

Browse the community pages and search and you shall find. This will help you find your answers.

Community Help Guides

How Much Does A Guest Pay

Security deposit

@Maggie107ID verificiation, is one somewhat up to you, also you can ask the person to verify the ID. The guests pays instantly, you get paid 1-3 days later after they arrive, as for the security deposit....I personally don't see it's benefit and I do beleive it is put on hold from their card.....but look up what it really means. I filed a claim due to damage and recieved a fraxtion of what I was requesting and the deposit was not included without any answers as to why. I did start out as flexible but once I got bookings switched to strict. I do not think renting a home out without supervision is a good idea, I would read all the stories avbout damages and claimes and nonreimbursements.....such as my hardwood floors 😞 I also make my guests put an actual picture of their face unless they are verified and I stay in the home and made my rules very clear and yes long. 

@Maggie107  Just a few notes for you that may be helpful to know, but not related to your questions. 🙂  1. The full name of the guest will not be revealed to you by Airbnb until the booking is confirmed. But you can ask the guest for their full name ahead of time if you wish. Most will readily give it to you.  2. With a full name and the town where they live, you can do a google search and find more information about the guest.  3. Keep your communication with the guest on the Airbnb platform. It's good for protecting your interests and easy to find to refresh your memory as it gets closer to the guest's date of arrival. 4. Requring an accurate photo of the guest is important, as well a profile description. If a guest inquires or instant books (I use the instant booking feature and like it) without a proper photo or a completed profile, I will simply ask them to complete their profile. Most will readily do so. 5. I try to develop a rapport with the guest ahead of time via the Airbnb message system. Some overly engage and some won't engage much at all. Either extreme can be telling. But Some guests will communicate better in person, even if they don't communicate well through the message system. 6. By allowing instant booking, I can still screen my guests after they have booked. If a guest doesn't pass muster and I feel uncomfortable about hosting them, I can cancel the reservation without penalty through Airbnb support. I've been hosting a year now and haven't had to do that yet, but it's an option that is good to have.

Hope this helps!

Marcia

Paul1327
Level 1
Westhoughton, United Kingdom

Airbnb software is chronic , I tried 4 times to up-load passport picture and each time it was sent back. I have used countless other sites and never had a problem up-loading.

happy to send to host.

airbnb get your act together! 

Jane1073
Level 1
Presque Isle, ME

I used to love Airbnb, the website that offers me access to nice accommodations for my summer travel. But now I am disappointed and angry at how Airbnb has been treating me.

I used Airbnb for two years and had success. I received 4-5 star ratings from the host families I stayed with. Now Airbnb is refusing me service. Airbnb wants me to send them a copy of my passport or driver’s license. I understand the rationale behind this step; it was designed to increase confidence in both hosts and guests. However, their process of verification made me instantly uneasy.

First, it made no sense to ask me to provide this information when I am already an established and repeat customer. Airbnb has all the necessary information: name, address, sex, birth date, phone number, email address, credit card, past hosts’ reviews and a profile picture. My history should have established me as a trustworthy customer. It appears that being an established customer means nothing to Airbnb.

Airbnb’s verification process is unreasonable. I travel extensively during my summer breaks (I teach) and I am familiar with hotels, motels, resorts, B&B’s, college dorms and other host families’ accommodations. Travelling usually involves reserving accommodation with a credit card. Upon arrival, the facilities perform a quick check of the passport or driver’s license.

The difference here is that I’m uploading sensitive information to Airbnb. These days anything on the Internet is vulnerable. The difference between entering my credit card information and my passport data online is that my credit card has some pretty serious guarantees and fraud detection in place. If someone gets a hold of my passport information and my identity is stolen, this can take years to fix.

Airbnb also asked that I provide them my social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Google) connections. A business has no right to ask for social media information. After spending ample time reading reviews and blogs on Airbnb, it appears to me that Airbnb should stick to established customs and use common sense in business practices. Online there are numerous articles on Airbnb infringement and over collection of customers’ personal information. Many people are questioning their practices and tuning away from Airbnb.

hutch

Nathan2257
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

You have to understand that there is no good reason to trust AirBNB with these personal details. Air BNB essentially facilitated a scam where I lost over $1000 in a country I wasn't even in then gave away my personal details to scammers. Their "help" on phone and online is designed to make you walk away and there really is no recourse for the damage they have done. To date the full total of money lost (linked accounts etc) is over $11,200 + many many hours of trying to stem the flow of the damage Air BNB has done. If AirBNB confirmed your ID then discarded the copies of ID that would be helpful. Currently they do not provide any security for people who give critical personal details. If you haven't experienced identity theft the best way to ensure you encounter this horrible scenario is to upload your ID to a company who has a bad track record of securing your data.

Do a quick google search on personal information being hacked. Companies all over the world are hacked all the time. They all have "privacy policies" and encrypt data, likely encrypt networks and hacking still happens. There is no reason to have to upload documents that aren't redacted of a couple bits of information. I'm also more than happy to show a host my ID when I arrive just like I do at hotels. They look at it a few seconds and we're all good. Airbnb will be losing more people as people wake up to the need to protect themselves and their digital footprints.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines