early check out

Joan1
Level 2
Atlanta, Georgia, United States

early check out

I have a guest that is checking out early and while I feel like I should refund the monies for the days he is not there, I turned down someone else when I accepted him and paid for a door to be installed creating the space to be a total private floor.  thoughts?

8 Replies 8

@Joan1  My thoughts are that you will probably get more answers to your question if you post in the New Hosts forum. This is for tips and tricks. 😉ScreenHunter_02 Dec. 09 14.55.jpg

Joan1
Level 2
Atlanta, Georgia, United States

thanks - new to this.

This is what I have done in the past when I wasn't obliged to refund money (based on Airbnb's refund policies): I volunteer that I will be happy to refund any days that I am able to get another reservation. The outgoing guest must cancel their reservation so that the days are freed up on the calendar. You will be able to send a refund even beyond the 48 hours after checkout. If this has changed, you can always contact Airbnb and get their help on the refund.

Hosting since Thanksgiving Day 2012 and over 1,000 stays. May you ever be the benevolent ruler of your own domain--YOUR life. Allow no other to rule over it.

@Raymond-and-Elaine0 What they said (I forgot where we were).

Hosting since Thanksgiving Day 2012 and over 1,000 stays. May you ever be the benevolent ruler of your own domain--YOUR life. Allow no other to rule over it.
Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

Hey Joan, why do you feel the obligation to consider a refund?  If the guest was unhappy and canceled the remainder of their stay, that's one thing.  But perhaps the plans changed and they weren't expecting any kind of a refund?  I have guests check out early for a variety of reasons, and I think only once has someone asked me to refund the unused days, and after explaining to them that it meant that I was losing money unless I could re-rent the room - we came to a compromise.   But I wouldn't automatically assume that there is any obligation at all to refund money to a guest who choses to check out early.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Joan1,

Great to see your post and you have received some replies. As @Raymond-and-Elaine0 suggested, your discussion fits slightly better into the 'General Hosting' board so I hope you don't mind but I have moved it over to there.

Thank you, happy posting! 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Christie1
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Hello Joan,

I've been hosting for five years in San Francisco and happy to share my thoughts...this has happened to me and I do the following to analyze the situation; 1) First and foremost...why is he leaving?  this is the key question.   If there is some type of emergency, job transfer, family issue or circumstance beyond his control, I would consider honoring a refund.  What is your cancellation policy?  Mine is 50% after confirming the reservation and no refund once occupying the space.  I do take emergencies into consideration.   If he is simply leaving for senseless reasons (and I've had this)...perhaps a) got to know the area and found a better place b) found a lower price elsewhere, I would then wish him all the best.  Keep a positive relationship during the departure and tell him to process the formal cancellation on Airbnb so it will repost, and you will be happy to honor a refund provided the dates re-sell.   If they don't re-sell, no refund.   If people want to leave, they will pack up and leave.  What you don't want is any type of friction where he may leave a bad review or express to Airbnb a non pleasant stay.   Most good businesses always want the customer to be happy, like Nordstrom....they will gladly accept a return even two years later.   Another important factor is to keep all forms of communication in the Airbnb thread...always.  Without this, they cannot assess situations or guide you, especially if it means insurance claims, etc.  Yes, I considered you invested in a door, however, that is your investment and should not be used to weigh this situation.  You made the investment and will likely have many more travelers stay which will more than pay for the door.  If you haven't been hosting too long and you plan to be a long term host....keep the peace.   It goes a long way.   christie

I have had a guest have to check out before his booking is up, he is ok and does not want a refund, how do I make the room available again >??