Air conditioner house rule

Lyn57
Level 2
Wonthaggi, Australia

Air conditioner house rule

Hi I’m after advice. I have an air conditioner in my Airbnb and am conscious of the very high electricity costs. I have put in my house rules that it is not to be used when below 25degres and the remote’s setting is not to be adjusted below that. I have worded in line with sustainability. I have put in my manual how there is a cool breeze etc. However, some people are ignoring it and having on all day when it is even 17 degrees. I have sent reminders of the rule but have received negative responses. Any suggestions?

10 Replies 10
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lyn57

It's a difficult one - your idea of cool is 25 degrees - for others it will be lower than that. One  route is to include a separate up front payment (howevert his will probably encourage people to use it more). Second option is whether or not you can change the controls in any way so that they cannot be tampered with. Finally, just increase your overall rate for every booking, but still try to enfore the rule about the aircon - hopefully an increased rate will help cover your running costs over the course of a year.

Thanks for your feedback Gerry and Rashid. I don’t think I have any option than to increase my overall rate which may affect my bookings. I seem to be attracting guests who just want to stay indoors all the time. 

Lyn57
Level 2
Wonthaggi, Australia

I think I’ll try putting up my rate but upfront in my description of my listing offer a discount for travellers. Does that sound reasonable? 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Lyn57 no way your guests will obey your 25 degree rule. Especially Americans ( no offense but nobody uses AC so much and open windows so rarely as US people ). I wonder why they book holidays in Croatia if they like summer on 21C... why not in Norway or Alaska?

I have another problem (except electricity bills) my neighbours are complaining of noise from my AC during the night. But there is nothing I can do, guests just don't care. 

You can also provide a ventilator. In spring and autumn ventilator can be the only option and in summer, when temp rise above 28C you can give them AC too. And just a sheet to cover bc many use all blankets available and then put AC on 21 C. 

I hate AC and will use it only when temp is above 38 C outside, and then just for a couple of hours on 26 C . I love summer and open windows 🙂

Lyn57
Level 2
Wonthaggi, Australia

Thanks Branka and Sylvia. I’m in Australia and expect guests to use air con above 25 degree days. It’s going to be 39 at the weekend and I was prepared for that but not when it’s 20. Good luck with the noise issue. It’s a hard one. 

@Lyn57 Is the AC unit a window box or a central AC system? 

Hi Rene & Zac it’s split system. Unit on inside wall; operating system outside if that makes sense.

If your AC is controlled by a wall thermostat, you can upgrade the thermostat to a WiFi unit that can lock out a guest from using the AC or heating. You set the comfort range and forget it.

I had guest run my electric bill to $678 in one month. The guest would just crank the AC to its lowest setting. The compressor gave out on a Sunday before the Labor Day holiday. The new AC unit cost me $3600. I had to fix the situation.

I started researching the choices and I went with the Ecobee. The Nest is also a great choice.

my bill went from $678 to $138. Best thing I added to the listing all year. 

Good Luck!

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

Debi4
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

https://www.airconoff.com.au/smart-air-conditioner-universal-remote-lg-panasonic-samsung-fujitsu.dai...

Just buy one of these remote controls for your aircon. That way you are in control of the temperature. 

Mary742
Level 5
Melbourne, Australia

Thank you Lynne for sharing.  I've recently completed renovations to make the B & B space separate from my house and was going to put in an air-conditioner.  But now, I think not, thanks to your post!  When I was hosting within my main house, people left the air-conditioner on all the time, like your own experience.  Something that hasn't come up in this thread is about the fire-risk with an air-conditioner running all the time.  People are not aware of this!  I am so not putting an air-conditioner in the newly renovated B & B and thank you for enlightening me with your experience!  Mary.