AirBNB's response to the 60 day limit on home sharing legislation...

Linus4
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

AirBNB's response to the 60 day limit on home sharing legislation...

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows if AirBNB plans to fight this legislation that limits home sharing to 60 days. Also how is this legislation even possible given the voters of SF spoke out during the last election allowing unlimited number of days for home sharing as long as the owner is present?

Thanks!

9 Replies 9

There is still time to fight this! Mayor Lee has to approve it. Time to start making phone calls!

How do we get involved or how can I help? 

You can call the mayor and tell him that you are against limiting the number of days for short-term rentals in the city of San Francisco. Tell him to veto the bill passed by the Board of Supervisors.

(415) 554-6141 Mayor of SF office.

http://sfmayor.org/contact-mayor-edwin-m-lee

mayoredwinlee@sfgov.org or go to

thanks! just called!

I started a petition on Change.org with Edwin Lee and  the rest of the BoS; please sign!

https://www.change.org/p/mayor-ed-lee-and-sf-bos-don-t-hurt-legitimate-short-term-hosts-with-arbitra...

(I got my registration appointment on 11/1 for 11/22 and the cutoff is now 11/15 so the limit applies to me even though I've been trying to follow the rules.)

Hi Robert,

When I filled out the short term rental registration for the city last January 2016 and they delayed...I emailed Edwin **, his administrative assistant , and Kevin ** who is heading up the Mayor's short term rental unit.   I got a call back immediately from Ed **'s adminstrative assistant who coordinated the in person meeting with Kevin **'s colleague.  I was persistent and had to drive the process end to end.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best to you.

Sincerely,

Randy **

The new 60 day rule would only apply to people that are not registered .The people that are currently registered would be subject to the previous rules.  is this correct.  Also why would anyone who is not registered want to register now because the 60 day rule is absolutely ridiculous 

Peter1
Host Advisory Board Alumni
SF, CA

Please read my Medium article on this topic and take part in the activism suggestions at the end of the article.

Peter.

Pete49
Level 2
Santa Cruz, CA

I am a host in Santa Cruz and would like to start a  Santa Cruz County community group or meet up. As many of you may know, Santa Cruz Co-Supervisors are developing new laws that would limit Airbnb in Santa Cruz County to two months a year and only one rental. The auspices of this movement to limit Santa Cruz  Airbnb rentals appear to be the lack of affordable housing and the hotel industry complaints. However what is not taken into consideration is how hard it is the pay a mortgage in Santa Cruz and maintain being a homeowner. Many Airbnb hosts join Airbnb just to help pay their mortgage. There is also the issue of the many seniors who host who are trying to continue to own their home and get by on social security. Single women and college students who supervisors are targeted are needing rentals but need kitchen space to cook meals for children and many times have their kids living with them. Airbnb gives hosts income, a way to host without having multiple folks using one kitchen, and can limit children if  renters are year-round would preclude using Airbnb in the two months that would be allowed( I assume the summer. )

I would like to organize a Santa Cruz community, have meetings very soon, trade information and make presentations to the supervisors as an organized one voice group. The supervisors did not send anything through Airbnb about this  and I understand used Neighborhood groups to send a questionnaire out to Airbnb hosts, which does not cover the airbnb  community so they got, I assume, no fair response from the hosts from the  Santa Cruz community.If you are interested in helping to address this issue or other issues unrelated please let me know.