AirBnB & San Francisco automated cancellation of all bookings without warning.

Kyle36
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

AirBnB & San Francisco automated cancellation of all bookings without warning.

Hi All, 

According to the AirBnB and San Francisco, we had met all the new registration requirements. Then at 4AM this morning without any warning, AirBnB's automated system with the City of San Francisco canceled all of our guest bookings claiming that we were not in compliance due to "Reject07" which apparently means that there was a complaint filed against our property. The City nor AirBnB gave us any notice/warning of this rejection to my knowledge, so we had no opportunity to address -- in fact, prior to this surprise cancellation, our only notifications were approvals. To our knowledge, we have no tenants or neighbors that have had an issue with our AirBnB. We don't know if this is our single issue or a broader one. We are trying to work with AirBnB to better understand and resolve and reaching out to the City as well. Meanwhile, as a Super Host, we are disappointed that our AirBnB business is this vulnerable to unexpected automated disruption from the City and/or 3rd parties that can likely be abused. We don't understand this specific issue yet, and according to my first support call with AirBnB, they don't either. The matter has certainly eroded some trust with me as a Super Host and I expect with my upcoming guests who were canceled too. I hope AirBnB can help me address this productively as I think the issue is beyond just a Host-City issue. Message from AirBnB at 4am this morning:

These short-term reservations were canceled because your listing isn’t registered with the city.

• March 20, 2018 - March 25, 2018 (accepted)
  • March 28, 2018 - March 30, 2018 (accepted)
  • April 3, 2018 - April 11, 2018 (accepted)
  • April 20, 2018 - May 2, 2018 (accepted)
  • May 10, 2018 - May 14, 2018 (accepted)
  • May 24, 2018 - May 27, 2018 (accepted)
  • July 7, 2018 - July 14, 2018 (accepted)
  • July 22, 2018 - July 31, 2018 (accepted)
43 Replies 43
Lily149
Level 2
California, United States

On June 15, 2018, the same day my permit was to be renewed, I was emailed by Omar Masry, a single sentence  "Please review the following attachment"

The attachement said my STR permit was REVOKED and I had 4 days to cancel all my reservations. I've been hosting since 2012 and airbnb is my only source of income. His decision has devistated me.

Omar cited evidence that a neighbor reported I have unwarrented kitchen/counter in my basement of the single family home that I own, with is not true.

Omar cited my profile from Aug of 2017 which means he had nearly 1 year to call me, come by or investigate.  When I said this must be a mistake, his cold reply said I could appeal. When I asked both Omar and Kevin Guy a questions about how to appeal, the Office of Short Term Rental ghosted me!!!

I have hired an attorney who said I should have at least had a hearing before they came to their decision. My appeal is pending.

I would like to hear feedback from someone who has been through the appeal process. Any info you provide would be great.

Lisa512
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

@Lily149 What was your outcome with your appeal?  Thanks! 

Brandon191
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Did you ever get this resolved?  If so, how long did it take?

My reservations with an AirBNB just got cancelled for the same reason.  Came into work and received an email at 7AM CST for a planned trip that is now 5 weeks out.  My reservations were for roughly $230 a night... now the only ones left are $700+ for luxury condos in San Fran... My trip will likely be cancanelled if the AirBNB Host cannot remedy this.

Hoping you had a quick rememdy and I can rebook with the host.

This past hour has been devestating... do not know what to do!  AirBNB gave me a $25 credit for the inconvience of cancelling my $1200+ planned trip.  At a loss and do not know what to even begin to do!

Thank you.

Matt-and-Ali0
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Has anyone resolved their SF registration issues? I had my bookings cancelled unexpectedly weeks ago and have been trying to resolve with Airbnb, but they are very unresponsive. I have the valid business license but the Airbnb site gives me an error message when I try to input it. Any help would be so appreciated! It’s been weeks (and lots of lost revenue). 

You may have been removed because you did not have the STR number that is provided by the Office of ShortTerm Rentals.  It's a 2 step process, 1st is getting the business license with the Treasurer & Tax Collectors Office then you need to pay a $250 application fee to apply for the short term permit. 

Advice: Do not trust the AirBnB Pass Thru Registration system. File with the City directly.

Kyle/all,

I am another Superhost who woke up to understandably irate guest messages for the same reason. Got the same 4am email from Airbnb notifying me that all stays from March to August have been cancelled. Trying to get in touch with the office of short term rentals to fix this asap. Anyone know where to find some key to describe what reject code numbers mean? 

I had the same thing happen this morning with code:

• REJECT14 - Other/Miscellaneous
Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

We're potentially looking at a similar debacle happening here in Dublin this summer. 

New regs are (allegedly) being introduced on June 1st, yet nobody - not the Govt, not Dublin City Council, and certainly not Airbnb - will confirm or deny that they're going ahead. A 90 day cap has been proposed for owner-occupied listings only, with mandatory registration, but nobody knows whether the 90 days will be counted from Jan 1st, or from June 1st, and no registration process has even been set up yet. 

One thing's for sure, if we do all get shut down in June, there are going to be thousands of heartbroken guests, and absolute pandemonium, because there's a major shortage of hotel rooms in Dublin at the best of times, so there literally won't be enough spaces in the entire city  to rehouse all those whose holidays have suddenly been cancelled at the last minute (even if they could afford the extortionate prices charged by Dublin hotels)

Meanwhile, with only weeks to go until the deadline, Airbnb continues to aggressively recruit brand new hosts here, offering an unprecedented  €300 referral fee, and even guaranteeing up to €1000 earnings for fresh hosts who sign up now, regardless of the fact that there's a good chance that their guests' long-planned holidays may very well turn into a complete nightmare. Classy, as always. 

Mara236
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Hello there,

My name is Mara Galvao, I saw that you are a host in San Francisco and I would like to introduce myself.

My name is Mara Galvão. I own  a cleaning services company ( M & R Cleaning Services ), and we serve mostly all the Bay Area.

We do a spectacular job for rental places. 

My number is (510) 224-1013. Please call me if you need someone to do your cleanings. I can promise you that you will be amazed with our work.

Thank you,

Mara

Eddy72
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

@Kyle36 This just happened to my parents as well. Was there a resolution? Would I be able to DM you?

I’m so sorry you are going through this. I did get it fixed after about a week. (I did lose 1 $5k reservation but everyone else stuck with me and I kept them informed of what was happening. It was awful. I’m going to tell you the same thing Airbnb told you...  You do need to work with the city to get it resolved and believe it or not I found the city super responsive and helpful with getting the issue resolved. Airbnb can’t reinstate your listing until the issue is solved with the city. 

This is the guy you want to talk to. I’d recommend being super nice because they really are doing the best they can. 🙂

kevin.guy@sfgov.org

Brian400
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Greetings, I am now living the same nightmare Airbnb cancelled all my reservations without notice to me. Wihtin one hour the City of San Francisco confirmed in an email to me that they are asking Airbnb to re-list, I am in good standing with the city. Now I call Airbnb they talk, they say they will investigate and call me back. Now two Airbnb people have said that and have NOT called back. I am a superhost, always obeyed the city's rules. Any advise on how to expedite to relist? Most appreciated. Brian

Hey hosts! 
CITY OF SAN FRANCISCO 

omggggg same thing happened to me- all reservations were cancelled due to non compliance re: city license. It renews every 2 years I SENT MY application + CHECK BEFORE June 2019. 

Short Term Housing Called me a month or so ago & said to please be patient as they’re reviewing all renewals. 

On phone with Airbnb. Will update as I get info!!