AirBnB & San Francisco automated cancellation of all bookings without warning.

Kyle36
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

AirBnB & San Francisco automated cancellation of all bookings without warning.

Hi All, 

According to the AirBnB and San Francisco, we had met all the new registration requirements. Then at 4AM this morning without any warning, AirBnB's automated system with the City of San Francisco canceled all of our guest bookings claiming that we were not in compliance due to "Reject07" which apparently means that there was a complaint filed against our property. The City nor AirBnB gave us any notice/warning of this rejection to my knowledge, so we had no opportunity to address -- in fact, prior to this surprise cancellation, our only notifications were approvals. To our knowledge, we have no tenants or neighbors that have had an issue with our AirBnB. We don't know if this is our single issue or a broader one. We are trying to work with AirBnB to better understand and resolve and reaching out to the City as well. Meanwhile, as a Super Host, we are disappointed that our AirBnB business is this vulnerable to unexpected automated disruption from the City and/or 3rd parties that can likely be abused. We don't understand this specific issue yet, and according to my first support call with AirBnB, they don't either. The matter has certainly eroded some trust with me as a Super Host and I expect with my upcoming guests who were canceled too. I hope AirBnB can help me address this productively as I think the issue is beyond just a Host-City issue. Message from AirBnB at 4am this morning:

These short-term reservations were canceled because your listing isn’t registered with the city.

• March 20, 2018 - March 25, 2018 (accepted)
  • March 28, 2018 - March 30, 2018 (accepted)
  • April 3, 2018 - April 11, 2018 (accepted)
  • April 20, 2018 - May 2, 2018 (accepted)
  • May 10, 2018 - May 14, 2018 (accepted)
  • May 24, 2018 - May 27, 2018 (accepted)
  • July 7, 2018 - July 14, 2018 (accepted)
  • July 22, 2018 - July 31, 2018 (accepted)
43 Replies 43

I've had the same issue... all my reservations were cancelled because the city couldn't open the image of my driver's license in the application and denied my registration. It triggered cancellations with all my bookings. However, once I contacted the city of SF, we quickly realized what happened and I now have the registration approved.

Unfortunately, the AirBnb system does not allow hosts to update the registration number field so I keep getting the error that "I don't have a valid registration", even though I do have one that is valid for two years.

Each time I call AirBnb, they just say that it's with legal and someone will get back to me... it's been a month with no response.

Neil52
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

This same thing has happened to me, it started on March 8th and I have been calling Airbnb support (to no avail) and the city who actually say that I can continue having short-term rentals while my application is being reviewed. I got a verbal 'yes' from them when i went to the office in SF. We have lost booked revenue, disappointed guests and missed booking since the listing hasn't been up. I've had a business registration for the unit since 2013 and a superhost too. 

Kyle, let me know your your answers, would love resolve this asap.

Thanks!

Hi Neil,

I sent you a PM. I'm happy to help. 

Miranti0
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

If it's not automated and the city instructs you to cancel all your future reservations, how do I avoid getting charged $50 for every cancellation??? 

Dear AirBnB,

AirBnB, you have the resources to help your host by emailing them ahead of time to warn them that their listing is going offline soon so the host can do something.  You expect your host to communicate properly and treat the guest with common courtesy.  Yet you fail to show any of that to your host, you just let them hanged high and dried.   AirBnB should provide a list of legal aids for those who needed help.  

It has been over a month that AirBnB has been telling me that someone would contact me to discuss this situation.... still no word.....

Rob243
Level 3
SF, CA

Hi Kyle- we spoke before.  According to the SF STR office, customer service is completely worthless.  They're contacting someone at the executive level for me to try and get resolution.  I'll let you know how that goes.  

Yes, my case has been open and in the legal queue still with no response from anyone capable of discussing the issue. It is ridiculous. Makes me want to consider taking alternative actions solely to help people not be treated this way in the future... It is disappointing.

Christopher426
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Hi Kyle,

This just happened to me, yesterday. A friend at the SF City Planning Office helped me connect with someone at STR, and I learned it was an error on the part of Airbnb. They are referring me to their legal department and will get back to me.  I do not trust this process. Any words of wisdom or advice?

chris

I have been waiting for months and nobody has reached out to me, and I have been checking in regularly.

Yeeman0
Level 2
Orinda, CA

Hi Kyle, I am having the same issue too.  I am seeking legal counsel on how to file an appeal with the city’s office of st rentals.  Do you have any insights on the city’s appeal process?  Also any alternative action from Airbnb.  I have been contacted by many shocked/sad/upset people that shave reservations suddently cancelled on them.  I’d like to provide some relief but airbnb’s Assistance was lacking.

Our issue was only with AirBnB and their “pass through registration system”. The City’s STR office was actually very helpful. Once we applied through the City’s system our registration was accepted and the City worked with their AirBnB contact to make sure our property was accurately listed. My support case to follow up on the issue is assigned to AirBnB’s legal team — appearently their MO is to ignore you as I’ve heard of others receiving the same treatment. 

Lily149
Level 2
California, United States

On June 15, 2018, the same day my permit was to be renewed, I was emailed by Omar Masry, a single sentence  "Please review the following attachment"

The attachement said my STR permit was REVOKED and I had 4 days to cancel all my reservations. I've been hosting since 2012 and airbnb is my only source of income. His decision has devistated me.

Omar cited evidence that a neighbor reported I have unwarrented kitchen/counter in my basement of the single family home that I own, with is not true.

Omar cited my profile from Aug of 2017 which means he had nearly 1 year to call me, come by or investigate.  When I said this must be a mistake, his cold reply said I could appeal. When I asked both Omar and Kevin Guy a questions about how to appeal, the Office of Short Term Rental ghosted me!!!

I have hired an attorney who said I should have at least had a hearing before they came to their decision. My appeal is pending.

I would also like to hear feedback from someone who has been through the appeal process.

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

OMG this is frightening.  I applied to the City's STR office way back in November, and I still haven't gotten word, just a notice to put "city license pending" on my listing.  I would be furious if Airbnb suddenly delisted me.  

Leslie258
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for posting on this topic, this just happened to me and I'm getting the runaround from Airbnb.  I've also connected with Short Term Rental Office via their website and finally got  a call back from a Pete who seemed pretty helpful but alas, I'm still stuck with Airbnb and my place can't get re-listed.    How did you get in contact with the City - was it by phone or in person?  

I understand that Airbnb needs to find a way to regulate and control all the properties so there are no 'illegal units listed" but to cancel all reservations without prior communication about cancellations is not fair to our customers.