BE AWARE! SCAMMER ALERT! Andrea@bbc2.tv

Philip57
Level 1
New York, NY

BE AWARE! SCAMMER ALERT! Andrea@bbc2.tv

I received the following email :

Hi there,
I am A̫nd̫r̫e̫a̫ and I am keen to book your stunning space, but first I have a few questions.Due to my work (I travel a lot, I work for .B.B.C. as photographer), I can't talk on Airbnb, I can be r̫e̫a̫c̫h̫e̫d̫ o̫n̫l̫y̫ t̫o̫ m̫y̫ w̫o̫r̫k̫ a̫n̫d̫r̫e̫a̫@b̫b̫c̫2.t̫v̫ , r̫e̫p̫l̫y̫ m̫e̫ t̫h̫e̫r̫e̫ I just have a few questions about your cool space .Once I spoke with you I will then book on Airbnb.
Thanks and waiting for your answer t̫o̫ m̫y̫ w̫o̫r̫k̫ a̫n̫d̫r̫e̫a̫@b̫b̫c̫2.t̫v̫
Have a good day! Thank you!

I did respond to the email and then a forward email came through:

Hi,
Yes I am ready to book but first of all I just have one big concern, why
there is that bad review on your listing?
(link can't be posted)
Should I be worry about it? Can you explain to me? Please let me know so I
can book today.
Best wishes

Clicking on the linking brings you nowhere, but a fake Airbnb page that makes you have to sign in. I tried to sign in but nothing happens I don't know if that gave him access to my account but I changed all my passwords. Please be careful and look out for this guy and this message.

39 Replies 39
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I have seen andrea mentioned before, somehow the scammers have found a way of getting around sending an email address in messages.

Yes they got your log on details.

David
OCheng0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Just received this email so glad i found it suspicious. i did reply asking why couldnt the questions be asked on airbnb.

Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

You did right in changing your password. This is classic phising and they got your details so never trust an unknown website and if you do, then never ever give out your log-on details and password as you did.

Why would you respond to anybody outside of the Airbnb platform? Lesson learned not to respond to messages unless they are contacting via ABB.

Does this "Andrea" have an ABB profile you can flag and report to Airbnb?

Hope she hasn't caused you problems @Philip57 !

@Philip57

When you go to log in always look for the green padlock in the address bar.  If it's not there - don't login.  Good you changed your password and thanks for the warning! Lisa

Shreyash0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I have just received a similar email. Looks like scam to me too. How do I report to Airbnb to look into this?

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Philip57@OCheng0 and @Shreyash0,

This does sound very suspicious! Thank you for letting the Community know. As @Christian65 said, if you can still see her profile, click on the flag to report her. I would also suggest that you flag any messages you exchanged with her on the airbnb platform to make sure that Airbnb are aware of the tactics she is using. Have a look at this Help Guide about reporting suspicious users for more information.

Do be careful with anyone asking to speak to you outside of the platform and sending you links, there is no legitimate reason for them to do so. It's definitely a good idea to change your passwords if you did follow the link and input details.

Thanks again for letting us know about this and let's continue to do so to help to warn others!

Kirstie

Claudia224
Level 2
New York, NY

The same Andrea sent 2 inquiries. The first one 3 nights. I had time to answer saying that I don't do transactions out of Airbnb. Then he send it again for 8 nights and I didn't followed because his account disappeared right after few minutes.

Amy25
Level 2
New York, NY

Yes, scam. Same message received. To flag the user/message, do so from desktop login becAuse the little flag doesn't appear in the app mobile version. 

Scam flags to mewere profile photo with watermark, weird underlining bad grammar and vouching that they were a businessman. 

Got the same too.. what tipped me off was the fake bbc email address glad i did a search on his email and found out a thread had been made for this dude

Just receive the same request. Thanks for the warning. Kind regards, Maria Rosa 

Inge18
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

hello i got exaxt the same message. i refused it and send the message that i don't buy this.

Good day, I am A̫nd̫r̫e̫a̫ and I am keen to book your quiet and cool space. First off all I have some questions please.Due to my work (I travel a lot, I work for, :BBC: as photographer), I can't talk on AirBnB, I can be r̫e̫a̫c̫h̫e̫d̫ o̫n̫l̫y̫ t̫o̫ m̫y̫ w̫o̫r̫k̫ a̫n̫d̫r̫e̫a̫@b̫b̫c̫2.t̫v̫ , r̫e̫p̫l̫y̫ m̫e̫ t̫h̫e̫r̫e̫ I have a few questions regarding your cozy space. I am visiting Amsterdam alone for about a week.Once I spoke with you I will then book on airbnb...Cheers and i am waiting for your answer t̫o̫ m̫y̫ w̫o̫r̫k̫ a̫n̫d̫r̫e̫a̫@b̫b̫c̫2.t̫v̫ Have a good day
12-12-2016 vandaag om 14:12
Michiel0
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Same here, received the same message about half an hour ago. After Googling the email address, I immediately noticed it is a scam. I flagged the message. I did reply on the message on Airbnb, that he could use instant booking. Because I thought it would be better to reply, to avoid loosing the 100% response rate. Than I called Airbnb service center and explained everything. Finally I changed my password. Greetings, Michiel

I totally forgot about the response rate and just declined after reading this post ? 😞 but i did flag his profile and reported it, another thing i noticed is that he has a new profile as i see he was a member since dec 2016 and looking at posts he has been doing this for a while...

Ifigenia0
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Same here, just got the e-mail a minute ago requesting a week booking! I noticed the same strainge e-mail address & I decide to google & I came to the airbnb community site:)  I never show the bbc address written that way before plus the watermark in the photo & the rquest to deal outsite airbnb sounds indeed suspisious. DO YOU REALLY THINK WE HAVET TO CHANGE OUR PASSWORDS?

greeting Ifigenia