Can condo directors limit AirBnB to Owner-occupied (principal res) units who do it occassionally?

John729
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Can condo directors limit AirBnB to Owner-occupied (principal res) units who do it occassionally?

Rather than have an either/or situations - no rules vs complete ban, can condo directors limit (put a rule in place) AirBnBing to Owner-occupied (principal res) units who do it occassionally? This would get rid of people who don't live in their units running it as a hotel unit (where the complaints are coming from about overuse). The city of Toronto is thinking of coming up with similar rules but if the board wants to act now can it bring in this rule before the City of Toronto does?

2 Replies 2
Mary925
Level 2
Vaughan, Canada

Hi, I don't have any idea how the condo board acts, but I do know that Montreal is very sticky on the idea of strangers roaming in the hallways.

As for TO,  this is what galls me.   The new law allows the tenant to do air bnb in their unit and profit from it.    As for owner occupied :   What for>    many owners are investing and do not need to live in the units to rent out a room or two..  That's absolutely ridiculous.   It's the hotel industry that is saying hey.   In Toronto, there's over 7K of listings and it's taking profits away from them.   There's room for everyone and it's free enterprise.

Krystal16
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@John729

Condo boards can do whatever they want pretty much.  The condo board rules supercede any city rules, for example, there is a new condo being built that will be 100% smoke free, when someone buys a condo they agree to abide by the rules of the board.  So the condo can actually put these rules into place, I would however say that the majority of condo boards do not allow airbnb, so if your condo board will allow it for people who have the home as their principle residence they are alot more relaxed than other boards and be thankful. 

I would be interested in the address as well.  I am considering purchasing a condo with my nephew, he travels frequently for work so even with the new rules he would be able to rent out as long as his condo board agrees with Airbnb