Canadian insurance for tenant

Marie-Luc0
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

Canadian insurance for tenant

Dear canadian fellows and Airbnb hosts,

I do have a big problem. I cannot find any insurance company who agreed to covert my appartement because I'm a tenant. I know there is a lot of you who are tenant and receving Airbnb guests. What do you do insurance wise? Wich company do you use? It's crucial otherwise there is no way we can receive guests unless looking for trouble (wich is not my cup of tea).

Thank you for your precious help.

ML

6 Replies 6
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

First thing to check is that you have your Landlords permission, I would have thought most Landords would not allow sub letting.

I assume that is why I have not seen it come up.

David

Thank you David 🙂

I'm planning to contact Airbnb directly. I know we are a tone of people in this case and I do want to play by the rules.

So is anybody knows an insurance company welling to convert a tenant renting room with Airbnb?

ML

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Marie-Luc0

Sub-letting on airbnb is normally not allowed under your tenancy contract.  One reason is that the landlord's insurance would not cover such arrangement.  

If you have permission from your landlord, he would need to get the insurance needed and add the cost to your rent. 

Marie-Luc0
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

Thank you Marit Anne 🙂

In Canada we can rent a room as tenant in our appartment. Plus, in my case, my owners ar well aware of my situtation, even their own insurance company is ok with that. The problem is strictly with tenant. They don't want to covert us.  They don't have problem to covert the owners even when they don't live there.  But they freak out when, as tenant you want to rent a room when you are on place and do it for 30 days and more. I just don't understand their logic 😞

So is anybody knows a canadian insurance company welling to convert a tenant renting room with Airbnb?

Thank you 🙂

Renters Insurance is usually pretty cheap, can not imagine there are that many Insurers offering it in Canada, best to call around and see if you can find one that does.

David
Amber129
Level 2
Mississauga, Canada

You should be calling an insurance broker (use google) as they know a wide range of insurance companies. I haven't heard of a tenants insurance covering it in Canada. As the person said above it's too cheap and really your typically you're just paying for content insurance. Landlords have own insurance for damage etc and we pay more having a tenant, of course. Myself personally being a landlord I would never allow this. Airbnb seems to not cover hosts for damages and such, even though they say they do. When I do long or short term leases i state in contract only person(s) signing may occupy property, standard agreement. Hope this helps!