Level 1
Melbourne, Australia

Claiming damages?

what if guest change payment method before claim for damages

11 Replies 11
Natalie119
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

I have had a guest leave with my towels. how do I claim so that I can replace them for the next guests?

This would be one such example/reason to add a Security Deposit into your listing, Guests pay this Security Deposit and is held by Airbnb for 14 days after your guest checks out, giving you as the host upto 14 days to claim this Security Deposit. After 14 days, and no Claim by the host, the Guests will automatically get it returned to them. I hope this advice may help. 🙂

I just have a bad experience with a claim, I found not support at all from Airbnb. A guest who left my mahogany chair with a broken leg. Also, she did broke a table glass top. I claimed the security deposit after 4 days of the guest check out. I submitted to Airbnb Security Team all documentation, photos and evidences they requested to proof the damages. The guest declined to pay and in revange she wrote a bad review of my place. I expressed Airbnb Security Team that I have a video. Usually, I take video of my place, so I can proof the condition of the house before the guest check in. However, the Security Team told me that they do not accept video as an evidence. The final resolution, Airbn said that guest was not liable for the dameges, so the security deposit can not be released to my account.
I have to pay over $ 100 to fix the broken items and my place went from 5 starts to 3 starts because the guest bad review. I believe that Airbnb should give more support to the host.

军0
Level 1
Richmond Hill, Canada

Damaged the washer

军0
Level 1
Richmond Hill, Canada

JpgDamaged the washer

Maritza17
Level 2
San Antonio, TX

I had a guest tear my pool liner and break the stairs, Airbnb declined my case and I am now stuck with $1500 in damages. In addition his reviews stated that we profiled him so that we can charge him. Hispanic to Hispanic? And nothing was done about that either. I wanted his information so I can go to small claims court and guess what? They can't provide information. So honestly there is no way to win a claim here.

@Maritza17

You can take the matter to Aribtration under the Host Guarantee.

David

Thank you. I read the arbitration section and sent Airbnb CustomerCare my intent to file for arbitration. I was not aware of this procedure. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Maritza17

In addition to @David126's advice, pls note that  @Angel-and-Gerry0's comment

"Guests pay this Security Deposit and is held by Airbnb for 14 days after your guest checks out, giving you as the host upto 14 days to claim this Security Deposit. After 14 days, and no Claim by the host, the Guests will automatically get it returned to them"

is not accurate! The Security Deposit is not paid in advance. Airbnb only has the authorization to deduct money from their account  (as is the case with renting a car).

Thank you. I have read this statement and have experienced this in my case. The damage was noticed at check out on July 2nd so I have been dealing with this for sometime now. I received the denial on Monday at 430am when my pool company had been waiting for the technician to return on Tuesday to provide Airbnb with their letterhead opinion on how the guests tore my liner and cracked my stairs. I am shocked about how they manage claims. Seems like they protect the guests. I was not refunded anything that we have spent to temporarily fix this. So arbitration is our next step. Thank you for the information.

Its very unfortunate and I'm sorry it happened to you.  A guest completely trashed my place with a house party, and AirBnb has been forwarding my request from one to another because I keep calling non stop.  You would think a superhost should be able to get a better treatmeant.  They either have people who dont care working for AirBnb, or they just don't want to deal with the issues.