Fake "Adam" account threatening City of Vancouver legal action

Susan85
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

Fake "Adam" account threatening City of Vancouver legal action

Has anyone else received a booking from a new profile with no information on it created March 2016? An "Adam" from "CA" who's only message is that I am theoretically in violation of City of Vancouver bylaws and CRA tax law and that I will be fined daily until my listing is removed? They have refused to identify themselves.

3 Replies 3
Nay0
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

I got that message, and I emailed Airbnb about the guy but I haven't recieved a reply yet. I did get a chance to call the City of Vancouver. It is true that you cannot legally rent out any residential property to renters for less than 30 days, but they will not take action unless there is a complaint from your neighbors....other than that, I wrote back to Adam, and he didn't reply.

Sweet0
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Couple of other hosts have recieved same mesage, I would say best way is ignoring him, there are lots of anti airbnb movements happeing in city which we all know is not going anywhere, they might wanna make a big deal and make a thread of back and forth emails and put it in media to prove what thet are claiming. 

Stacey18
Level 2
Calgary, CA

Hi, Im a host in Calgary, but following what is going on in Vancouver. The "Fake" Adam account might be coming from a new group of companies created to help cities find and fine AirBnB hosts. Search for the article on CNN, Oct 1st, 2016, Meet the AirBnB police. The City of Vancouver is listed as a client. Hope this all works out for you guys, the hosts really need to band together.