Guests breaking house rules

Sam175
Level 2
Miami, FL

Guests breaking house rules

Hi all,

I need some assistance from an experienced hosts on how to handle these issues when a guest break the rules, for example: I put in my rules , please take off your shoes when you go to the second floor bedrooms. Also no loud noise . Guest break them all the time and when I contact airbnb they say we can't charge them for this rules. How could I make sure guests follow rules? and what's the prove take pictures or record the noise sounds late night?

Thanks.

Sam

11 Replies 11
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

You will need to put your Host Pants on and talk to you guest.  Let them know they were a little noisy at night and you'd appreciate if they kept it down.  Remind them not to wear their shoes downstairs.  Many people don't actually READ the rules, so they may be unaware all together.  Or they forget.  Or they do it willingly.  Whatever the reason, it is your job as a host to enforce your rules, not Airbnb.

Thanks Cynthia & Chris for your response,

I have all rules written under the house rules and I did talk to them by sending him an email through his aribnb email. He said ok but I still hear noises and never take the shoes off .

@Sam175

One of the easiest things to do when your guest arrives is show them around and then specifically say you have 3 or 4 main house rules you would like them to be aware of: no shoes, keep down noise after xx hrs. This really works as you have their attention at that point.

It's a much better way of getting it to sink in with guests. People don't read long lists of house rules and you can't 'fine' them for breaking a minor rule like forgetting to take off their shoes.

As for noise - consider that you may now be overly sensitive to any noise this guest makes - if the flooring/space is that vulnerable to noise then perhaps (if its a wooden floor for example) consider covering it, rugs, carpet, etc..

Thanks a lot Gary and Rashid,

This is really great helpful idea of showing them around and telling them these rules. But regarding the noise , I know I'm not sensitive but when guests put music or tv loud or calling on phone loud around 3:30am is an issue. And you do if you already talk to them and its continuasly happening?

@Sam175

I do agree that noise that time of night is not on - so try telling guests when they check in that noise carries in the hosue and you would  be grateful if there was no TV/music/phonecalls etc after 11pm at night (for example).

Generally people are ok with that type of request...

If you get someone constantly doing this then I am afraid it 's time for a face to face chat to remind them!

Yes you are right , thanks a lot.

I give my new arrival guest with my house rules in black & white but I also reiterate them all verbally while I have their attention so they can't deny that they are not aware of my house rules.  Maybe we should ask them to sign upon arrival that way they also cannot deny not knowing about the house rules.

When you have discussed this with your guest about the shoes and the noise they continue to not follow the rules and that’s when you asked a guest to pack their things and leave your property

Yes us hosts must stand up for rude guests.  They come into my house, it's not a hotel, they have to follow my rules or stay in a hotel and pay more!  Maybe they wear their dirty shoes everywhere in their own house and they're OK with that but it doesn't mean the rest of us are like that, too.

You can ask for a deposit. Take pictures and reports to ABB immediately 

@Sam175

Regarding the shoes off policy, it's best if you have a designated area by the door where people have to take off and store their shoes. Also if you provide indoor slippers/rubber clogs then there should be no excuse for not respecting the no shoes in the house rule. You could charge a deposit and say, if guests are caught (you will have to take a picture or have proof of them admitting to it) with shoes on in the house you will charge them for a FULL deep clean of the floors/carpet, and you should remind the guest several times before, during and after check-in.

No loud noises can be very subjective so I've found it's best to be as specific as possible - all TV and music after 9pm thru headphones only, close windows/doors when making calls or having conversations (sound travels), when on the phone or having a conversation use indoor voices so that you cannot be heard from outside of the room (if other people can hear you, it means you are too loud). A lot of these rules were my mom's rules for me and my sisters 🙂