HELP! The city wants to inspect my home!

Danielle185
Level 1
New York, NY

HELP! The city wants to inspect my home!

The city left a notice on my door saying that they want to inspect my home because someone complained that I'm running an Airbnb. Has anyone else had this issue? Please help!

7 Replies 7

Yes, it happens all the time.  You need to make sure you are in compliance with rental codes in your apartment, the city, the county and the state.  NY laws are pretty well established so do some online searches to address your needs.  

I believe in your case they want to verify your SRO or your hotel registration vs the max number allowed for your building.

We were not SRO-ing or Airbnb-ing but were forced to install smoke alarms in each bedroom, remove the keyed lock doorknobs from each bedroom and also hire an architect/engineer to verify that the changes had been made and then they still reinspected which meant they forced us to spend money on the architect  but this means they were protected from false accusations of being bribed to pass our inspection I guess.   So you might want to start with that.   We passed inspection with them as well as with the insurance inspector. 

But we also requested the smoke alarm from airbnb for another unit.   I don't know if we will get it. 

Judy29
Level 9
Brant, Canada

You want to encourage city health board inspections on your accommodations.  It give you credibility and tells guests that you run a clean and safe accommodations.

I have registered the business and the BOH makes routine visits.  I get a card to post in my window that gives a 5 star rating.

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Is about safety and compliance is hard becaus nobody really knows the rules is about making money and every body want a pieces of it that's the bottom line but first is about safety

Dan276
Level 1
New York, NY

so whatever happened?  

So what happend at the end?

im little concerned about this new law,not allowed to rent out entire apartment for short term

thank you