Home insurance

Home insurance

We have been having difficulty finding home insurance. As soon as we say air Bnb the price sky rockets or they won’t insure us at all. Has anyone had this issue? Has anyone found a company with reasonable rates that allows air Bnb?
10 Replies 10
Ash51
Level 4
Toronto, Canada

This is an interesting topic for Toronto renters. I discussed with my insurance provider as I moved from my previous property to a new property with renting option of my basement. The insurance company kept my policy without any change of premium but they advised me to ask the tenants to buy an extra insurance. For Airbnb, it has a bit of coverage. In reality, it's complex. It's not the right kind of protection that we need. We need a better picture about insurance coverage of the property with Airbnb. 

You may want to work with someone who is familiar with insurance.  I found the folks at Insuranceland decent.  They are a broker and can shop around vs going to one insurance company.  Just like for mortgages PreApproveIt is a good provider who shops around for the best mortgages.

It may save you sime time is all

Jessica I can help you.  I am able to broker insurance for most states, including California.  Please google me as Air BNB wont allow me to post my info.  Sean F Murphy Worth, IL.  Thanks.

Gira0
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

@Jessica1058 im glad you raised this concern! my insurance notified me I have 7days to find another policy, as they don't insure STR or Airbnb, otherwise they will cancel me out which will remain in my records for 6 years!!! 

Now, my shop around has had no luck so far ( many insurance agents have NO CLUE, they suggest commercial insurance for Airbnb!, and Airbnb staff have not been helpful as they dont consider this their responsibilty) and obviously im stressing out. 

Did you find out a solution that can kindly suggest? 

thanks! 

@Gira0 I still have not found a great solution. I have coverage, but rates are super high! Did you have any luck? We worked with a broker from brokerlink.

Hi Jessica! my problem got resolved by contacting Square One insurance - they cover Airbnb and there is nothing grey about it.

the difference I am paying in comparison to my previous regular home insurance is about $15 per month - so not much yet being safe and covered! 

give it a try: 

https://www.squareoneinsurance.com/home/airbnb

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Insurance companies reaction tells everything about the Russian roulette we are all playing on an everyday basis

Donata12
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I have recently changed my Condo insurance to allow Arb and STR. I am with Chubb now, not cheap but the coverage is good which, in the end, is waht we al need. Too often saving on insurance means to be on the hook in case of a claim. I also suggest an umbrella coverage to extend on top of the AIB for liabilitie

Sebastian405
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Yes! Contact Cody at Kase Insurance! If you say that Sebastian from Andes STR referred you to them, they will give you the best price available. They have insured TONS of our clients already, extremely reasonable price and they won't provide nonsense coverage. We have worked with them, educating them on the ACTUAL risks involved in a short-term rental, so they understand very well your needs.

https://kaseinsurance.com/

Cody Macpherson

Alan479
Level 2
County Carlow, Ireland

anyone got a solution for this problem in Ireland