I received a letter from the city of Burbank CA indicating that I am operating an illegal bnb.

I received a letter from the city of Burbank CA indicating that I am operating an illegal bnb.

Hello -  are there any hosts in the city of Burbank Ca that may be willing to come ot to meet the city council to fight for the right to operate an airbnb in our city.   If we unite forces we have better chances of getting them to allow us to run the bnb.

I have been told by the city officials that a few airbnb operators are going to court to fight the city.  I just got a letter sating that I am in violation of the city codes by operating the airbnb. They  are asking me to stop.

Any ideas?

8 Replies 8

Of course Now you want to "unit forces" and fight....where were you before then? Before they came for you?

Many of those who you were told are now fighting were silent until....

Why should the city listen to you now after the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California recently ended them another victory against Airbnb and HomeAway?

Why should the city listen to you when they are already bought and paid for?

Now that you want to fight, I suggest that you see to it these council members don't get re-elected. That's the best course of action, in my opinion.

UPDATE: Delete this post. Thought it was the OP.

How in the world did they get your address in the first place?

Jeff456
Level 1
Burbank, CA

I have been in contact with the City of Burbank regarding my Airbnb listing. Part of my challenge was that Airbnb assured me they would inform me if I was violating any rental/hosting laws years ago. They failed to do this, seriously eroding the trust I had with a company I had previously had supreme confidence in. When the city informed me that any rental under 30 days was a violation of law, I changed my policy and have complied, with great success. I have had only a few guests since then, many signing up for months or even in one case, a year of tenancy. Some of my neighbors have been automatically against Airbnb, and don't seem to appreciate the fine guests who have stayed, and that I provide off street parking. My guests have been overwhelmingly quiet, gone during the daytime for most days, and respectful of the quiet and regulated environment still provided to the people residing in this city. The turnover of homeownership in my neighborhood has been frequent, but I am doing my best to be a responsible neighbor. I have only had one direct complaint against guests, and that was Japanese studio employees blocking the neighbors driveway. Fortunately, the neighbor was a good friend, and hadn't realized I was 500 miles away. We had the car re-parked within minutes of his contacting me, and I re-wrote my hosting guidelines to address the parking issues, as well as providing off street parking. Hope this is helpful, and I appreciate that Airbnb has been a great resource to me and my family.

Melanie513
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

I have a question then: is it illegal, in Burbank CA, to rent out a guest house for less than thirty days on Air BNB?

Hi Melanie! yes, apparently it is 😞

Sergey27
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Cj36: Were you able to resolve this?

Or has anyone else received such a letter and been able to resolve it?

Thanks

Matthew853
Level 1
Fountain Valley, CA

I can’t seem to find any rule against STR in Burbank. Does anyone behave more specifics?

Nanor2
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Are there any updates with any rule against Short Term Rentals in Burbank? Does anyone have more specifics?