Little to no reservations lately...

Little to no reservations lately...

Has anyone noticed a steep decline in reservations over the past two months? I'm not sure if it's because of Zika or maybe there is another factor I'm unaware of but there seems to be a shift in the reservation market through Airbnb and I was curious if we were the only ones feeling it. 

18 Replies 18
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I have seen many similar posts.

Quite why will no doubt be different from one host to another.

David
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

From the postings on the forum it seems to be the case all over the planet.  Not sure what is going on.  It is much the same in my area, not completely dead, but a lot slower than last year.  

Really? We have never been this dead - not even a single inquiry now for a month. We started exactly one year ago and had bookings the same day we launched and almost 85% occupancy for the full year. It's very concerning how there is suddenly just nothing. We are considering looking for a tenant if this keeps up.

Do you use other sites?

David

No, we've never needed to but maybe it's time. VRBO?

Ive noticed in my area that a lot more people are doing Airbnb. Just in the past month we have seen the amount of listing substantially go up. I think it is like uber where people think it's gonna be easy money. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Florida has had both Zika and bad weather. Areas with confirmed Zika have plummeted in tourism. That's my guess! I am sure it will pick up again once people get used to the idea of new and scary diseases. Remember avian flu etc...

Erik44
Level 2
Miami, FL

We believe it's because AirBnB has pushed an aggressive as campaign targeting Miami residents to become hosts. It cannot be a decline in bookings because of Zika as we were booked solid every day all summer when Sika was in the newspaper headlines daily. The drop began mid October for us. Everyone everywhere in Miami we have heard the same observation. AirBnB also has levied a new fee/tax on guests and had not notified hosts, so guests are paying much more to them than previously. 

We have been going through the same and while Zika might be a part of the problem, the aggressive recruiting by airbnbbof new hosts in Miami might be a better and more actual reason. This surge in hosts has obviously created a pricing "war" which is understandable but of which I do not partake. 

Jeremy63
Level 2
Brookline, MA

Still having the same issue as well. Went from about 85% occupancy to now almost completley dead!! Anyone have any ideas? 

Ines6
Level 2
Miami, FL

Good evening, my drop continues to be catastrophic. This week out of my three Miami listings only one is going to Art Basel. Last year I was booked solid since I am close to the Wynwood neighborhood. I don't get the stats I used to last  year that showed my listing  views as compared with  the rest of the city. I have spoken with Airbnb representatives since my drop in November was 400% but they won't give any info on travel market trends or any general data. I don't understand why they would not share the information they have with us who are the brand. Anyway, has it gotten any better in Miami for you ? 

K12
Level 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

A property manager we were interested in using told us that the reason she heard there is a decline is due to the rise in the dollar, Zika, and the hurricanes.

Donna118
Level 2
Miami Beach, FL

Hi. I have several listings on south beach 

I think Zika had an impact from mid. August thru 

October of 2016

but. For high season the inquires are very low 

my thoughts are there are 2 main reasons we have seen the slowdown 

1. Economy over all is slowing down and. Europe travel to miami is down 30% from last year 

2 and the  constant bad press in regards Air Bnb 

the CMB over the fines for vacation rentals 

thsnjs. Donna 

I have been reading Airbnb data in Miami :

1. Over 40% of the bookings in Miami are coming from "hosts" with multiple units. They are not coming from the core of Airbnb brand which is the person that has the extra bedroom (s) or cottage.

2. These listings are from real state investors with large quantities of units in their hands they have been unable to sell in the areas of Brickell, Edgewater and downtoen.

3. These investors have discovered that they can hold on and wait patiently for the usual market upswing by Ikea their units and placing them at discounted -deeply- in the vacation rental plataforms. 

4. This has created an incredibleprice war . Kust checl suggested price tips by Airbnb and your jaw just drops! 

5. This situation is uncontrollable and was to be expected due in part to the aggressive purduit of properties by Airbnb and the simple fact that they have to show growth that justifies that the company is valied at 30 billion . 

6. The problem is that the brand is getting diluted, the sleeping giant of the hotel industry was ok when the hosts were just people making ends meet or loving having the world coming to them but oh so not happy when its actually corporations holding those properties and creating the price war that impacts them deeply. Airbnb has the same evaluation as the Marriot chain! 

7. I don't see an easy solution to this conudrum and I am saddened by the loss of that wonderful original and revolutionary idea. I have loved being a host and a member of the Airbnb community. I think Airbnb is starting to understand that fighting the cities is not a great idea and that the concentration of the business in a few powerful hands is not either . Lets wait and see and meanwhile lets hold on !