Lock Box - strata want to cut mine off - other options ?

Suzanne30
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Lock Box - strata want to cut mine off - other options ?

Hi all, my strata wants to cut my lock box off where I leave keys for cleaner and guest. Does anyone else have a suggestion for keys. He said it must be off common property and doesnt mind where I put it just off common property

Any ideas for key collection options. Im in Paddington Sydney

14 Replies 14

@Suzanne30 - Find a co-host who can greet your guests.  Leave your mailbox unlocked and leave the lockbock in there.

Edwina11
Level 2
Toongabbie, Australia

We have had an electronic keypad entry fitted to our door. Codes can be deleted as required, I have differnt codes for visitors, tradies and cleaners.

Works like a dream so far.

Philippa25
Level 2
Newtown, Australia

My lockbox is inside my mailbox; these are at the front entrance to the block under the intercom so are convenient for guests & I just leave mine unlocked. It has worked well, as I was also concerned about where to put it where it didn't encroach on common space.

HI Phillipa - I know your post is quite old now so not sure if you will see this, but I am thinking of doing somethign similar with ours as we hav a brand new apartment so limited options of where to put a lock box. Do you just get a locksmith to install this inside your letterbox?

Katrina59
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Hi Suzanne, 

I am currently in the process of bringing Air Angels Management to Sydney from London and would like to discuss with you in more detail about managing your property on your behalf. 

We would be able to greet your guests, so you would no longer have any issues with keeping a lock box on common property.

Please email: katrina@airangelsmanagement.com

Regards,

Katrina Bowns

Madison17
Level 2
Charleston, SC

I'd say ditch the keys and get a good lock with a keypad. That will eliminate the need to keep up with keys and always having to ensure guests return them and don't lose them or take them with them, etc. 

I'd highly reccommend this new lock we recently got! It syncs with your AirBNB calendar so each time a guest books a stay with you, it automatically sends them an email confirmation with their key code. It auto updates itself and auto switches codes for you when guests check in and check out! Saves me a whole world of time and makes hosting not only super easy on me, but easy and convenient for our guests! 

Here's a link to it for you to check out: 

https://www.amazon.com/AirLocking-Smart-Lock-for-AirBNB/dp/B0759NPC5Y/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=airloc...

Toni99
Level 2
Lake Macquarie, Australia

I just clip my lock box to the security screen on my front door. Is this classed as common property?

Cosy1
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

My own solution is to replace the manual key lock with a digital lock with key pad. Access to the property is by way of numeric code which can be disabled anytime. I recall I invested less than AUD200 for the lock purchased from eBay. No regret so far. 

Lena103
Level 1
Kurnell, Australia

By rule with strata you own from the paint in... the door (especially the outside of the door) you legally can't alter. We keep key box in our car space.. is this something that you can try?

Richard405
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

Replace your letter box lock with a digital letter box lock (if the letter box is out side of the main door to the building), change code when necessary, put you keys in your letter box, problem sloved!

do you have an example of this?

I recently had a Lockwood digital lock installed on my front door.  It can be programmed up to 10 different codes and you can even put time limits on how long a code lasts for.  I bought it at bunnings and had a locksmith instal it.  It has worked very well since installed 2 months ago.  Thank goodness I don't have to deal with the constant lost keys any longer.  I hope this helps.  

Ange-and-Mike0
Level 1
Port Douglas, Australia

We use a CondoKey and love it.

It locks inside our mailbox, has a large pull out drawer with a numerical lock and it collects the mail too.

https://www.condokey.com.au/

Alexander699
Level 2
Davos, Switzerland

Hi, I use a lock from a company called logilock.com, they have an excellent lock whereby you can program it from your PC or mobile , you don't need any internet connection at the locks side.