Los Angeles Home Sharing Ordinance

Brian133
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Los Angeles Home Sharing Ordinance

Does anyone know if AirBNB is working with the City of Los Angeles to prevent the 120 day limitation on AirBNB guests as proposed in the current form of the Home Sharing Ordinance?

20 Replies 20
Susan20
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Yes they are. LA now recieves lodging tax, which will provide millions in revenue, so the city is less concerned now about limiting the number of nights. The more they limit, the less they make. Hope that helps. #AirbnbExpert

I became an Airbnb Host in late 2014.

As an Airbnb Super Host, I learned that people are interested in the first-person experience. As a result, I become the self-appointed “Airbnb Expert” to help Airbnb hosts and guests get the most from their Airbnb experience. Each day my social media showcases helpful host and guest tips, along with hand-selected Airbnb recommendations from around the world. I also feature a new blog each week, with the hopes of helping to enrich the Airbnb community.

I am a firm believer in Airbnb’s core brand values and I deeply want to do my part to help nurture those values so others can also find comfort in their embrace. Under the guiding light of Airbnb, I hope that in my role as the “Airbnb Expert” I will help contribute to making the world a better place, by connecting us all through kindness, laughter, caring, sharing and yes, economic advantages too!

Should you have any tips you’d like to share or questions you’d like to ask, I'd love to hear from you.

LET'S CONNECT

Please visit my website at AirbnbExpert.com where you'll  find links to all of my social media and my blog postings.

AIRBNB OPEN 2016

I will be presenting a workshop at Airbnb Open 2016 in Los Angeles, California on  Friday, November 18 from 11:00am - 12:00pm at the Pattern Bar on "Learning how to build a professional hospitality brand on Airbnb." This session will go through strategies for attracting guests using marketing tactics and best practices.

The journey is the destination - Travel Quotes - Twitter - AE.jpg

this is not the place for self promoting.

Chris108
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

The city council is eventually going to vote on the ordinance proposed by the planning commission. I'm not able to find any exact information on when exactly or if this vote will happen this year or be pushed till after winter/holiday break. Meanwhile, everyone should continue to write their city council district representative, and the mayor as well.  And it's extremely important to attend as many public meetings, where we can address the members of the city council directly.  The opposition is strong and organized and I'm amazed at how many they, are and how vocal they are when they show up en masse at these meetings.  So it's very important that we as hosts and supporters of home shareing, show up in large numbers as well to show our strengh and solidarity. But more importantly, we need to continue to share our stories of how homesharing has enabled us stay in our homes.  And also better maintain and even upgrade the buildings we live in.  I was surpised at this stage of the game to hear still, how un-informed certain City Council members, about what we do.  Even some members who sit on the planning commission were clueless about airbnb, homesharing, etc. when they were presented with the initial proposal.  And even in the Office Of Finance, so many people are in the dark about what we do!

So our stories must continue.  The members of the City council, planning commission, mayors office, and the public in general, need to hear OUR stories.  If they better understand our needs, they will see the flaw in the proposed limits, and hopefully they will recognize that if this proposal is accepted, it will cause financial hardship to many Angeleno's who depend on this income, as it will essentially end homesharing.

See you at city hall yall.

Beyond the hosts' income shouldn't the message also include the millions of people who can afford to travel using Airbnb?  The group that is opposing Airbnb has come out with a very impressive economic impact report.  But it does not include data on the loss of tax income from those who would not travel as much with Airbnb.

Yes I agree, it sounds like a good idea.  How would we aquire those statistics?  Maybe something airbnb could provide.

Wendy-and-Sol0
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

@Brian133

Not sure if you saw @Chris108' post from a few days ago:

Political

- Housing Committee hearing at LA City Hall on Weds., Dec. 7 from 1-4 p.m.

- This event has not yet been publicly posted.  There is no also public link and probably won't be until Monday

- There is not a specific room that has been ID'd for the meeting. There will be individuals onsite directing meeting attendees to the proper location the day of.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND, If we want to continue hosting short term rentals in the city of LA, and having the freedom to choose for how many days/year that we rent, then it’s very important that as many of us as possible, attend as many of the city meetings as possible, so that our voice is heard and that OUR story is not drowned out by the opposition. The housing committee, the planning commission, and every city council member needs to hear our stories, over and over again until they eventually make their decisions and vote on whatever new laws will be proposed.

Shawn44
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Look, I have nothing against Airbnb. I use it frequently when I travel. But there has to be rules set around it. It is a inconvenience to neighbors, like it or not. I live next to a guy who has turned his house into a 3 apartment guest lodge for Airbnb with a pool hot tub and grill. Sounds amazing right? I'm sure for the people that visit it is, but for me living right next to a retreat that is in the middle of a family neighborhood, it's not. Strangers constantly peering into my yard, guest drinking and playing music while talking around the pool, or when they have young children playing in the pool, it's the worst! Sound travels very well across water and it goes right into my living room... so YES, there has to be limits on it. Otherwise you are turning it into a business that never closes and inconveniences everyone in the neighborhood. Especially with parking too. 120-160 days is plenty!  It wasn't created to make you rich or make it do you can retire early.... Everywhere is different, but in my neighborhood, it doesn't work well is all I'm saying. 

Sam330
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Anyone hear any update here as I was hoping the news would be out by now??

This isssue has again heated up! Urgent to contact your city councilperson immediately to prevent the 120-day cap on hosting in primary residences. See http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-rental-rules-20180406-story.html

Marc380
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

This isssue has again heated up! Urgent to contact your city councilperson immediately to prevent the 120-day cap on hosting in primary residences. See http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-rental-rules-20180406-story.html

Thomas746
Level 4
Los Angeles, CA

Today, may 2 2018, city of la announced it will move forward with the 120 day ordinance.

Andrew614
Level 2
California, United States

Is there any sort of plan or strategy for fighting this/ getting better terms for hosts? I'll be forced to sell my property and leave the city if this passes as drafted.

The airbnb Southern California policy manager, John Choi said that the drafted ordinance in its current form is a "step in the right direction."

And some anti-Airbnb groups embraced the ordinance.

I don't see airbnb supporting any opposition to it.

Politicians have to sacrifice some people, the commercial operators, in order to satisfy some others.

Other cities are passing ordinances on airbnb too, not just LA.

True, you may have to sell your properties. But don't let that be the end of your vacation rentals business venture.

Kevin1056
Level 6
Los Angeles, CA

Weve been sold out!