Maggie from Scotland

Vir0
Level 1
Mumbai, India

Maggie from Scotland

Maggie  came to stay with us for two nights from Scotland via Pune  in January when Bombay was hosting Marathon. V.T. Station area was a fortress. Communication lines were badly snarled.Taxis were off limits. We were wondering as she was quite overdue after her last call from Pune before  boarding the train.She managed a lift to hotel President and  gave us overdue pleasant surprise.  Framed in the doorway she looked none the worse for the ordeal of traffic dislocation.Our sun lit balcony overlooking Arabian see caught her fancy and she declared"I am moving into balcony. You can keep the room."

"Ms Maggie it is common area." But it is uncommonly beautiful and I find it irresistible."

"After sun set it is haunted by  Loch Ness Monster and is particularly  nasty to petulant ladies." I tried to scare her with her native ghost

"No fears Vir! Canterville ghost is one of my ancestors. I can exorcise your monster at no extra cost. "

After such preliminary introduction it was futile not to let her have the run of the place.
 Her sense of humour ranged from macabre to outrageous.

After few hours of her arrival we realized that she always belonged here and how come we did not miss her before she breezed in.     Early next morning she unrolled her Yoga mat and  with amazing suppleness moulded her elegant persona into a Serene Budha from
Edinburgh in  lotus pose and breathed new life into the balcony.

I got up little later and realized that my place was taken up .  I quietly moved into the parlor and started my Pranayam  followed by  other yogic postures as per my daily routine.

After an hour I got up and found her doing Surya NAMASKAR with  perfect grace  just as the sun was rising out of Arabian sea after a saffron shower.She wound up her yogic Kriyas with Shav Aasan. I dare say I have never seen a lovelier and livelier corpse.

My wife got up and made herbal tea for all of us and I proposed that she should start a Yoga Kendra in hotel Vivanta a five star hotel next door.
I would have considered it had I not met you. Now all I want is to enrol as your pupil for higher level Yogic practices" was her disarming reply.

Soon all house rules were declared obsolete and wife insisted that she should eat  at home.
Her Spartan habits and admirable dietetic discipline  made her any host's dream guest. She refused to vacate the room after two days.I had to show her the next booking. She regally declared"OK I am off to Chandrapore and I may come back with a friend. I will stay in balcony and reserve the room for friend." without waiting for answer she walked out with her minimum belongings,leaving the rest in another room of the house.

She returned after five days with her friend and they were finally giving Bombay a chance to be discovered.I had warned them against leaving sea food strictly alone .where it belongs I.e. in the sea. MAGGIE AND FRIEND  had prawns in Colaba and in the middle of the night there was violent revolt in her fuselage by the marine creatures.In the morning balcony was deserted and Budha of Aberdeen was groaning with griping pain.

My wife got into healing mode, called all her doctor friends of all streams from Ayurveda to Homeopathy and by evening Magie was fit enough to go into contortions of her own choice.she was fussed over by Veena and given boiled water and sanitized vegetables.

If she had her way she would boil the very air for her to breathe. Maggie was enjoying all the attention she got and grandly confessed."I have half a mind not to recover fully."

On the last day she was up early for her Yoga routine and pronounced herself fit for any fray or feast. We had a substantial breakfast of Upma  followed byStomach friendly yoghurt with dried mint.

Time was nearing for parting. Maggie looked at us with mischievous twinkle

"Vir and Veena I have decided to adopt you as my parents"

We are delighted Magie and honored by your well considered decision. But there is one condition though.

"Accepted unconditionally" She fired back

"Promise you will never grow up and remain irrepressible child at heart"

The light banter was interrupted by Über taxi reporting at security gate.

Maggie got up walked to the balcony, lingered for a while and laughed  like a child and promised to come again soon.

We are waiting for our53 years old child.

5 Replies 5
Antonia-Clare0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

bloody nighmare - I hope you are if you have not done so - gone to the resolution center and charger her for extra guest and 5 nights plus doctors bills - 

I think you need to add in your note to airbnb and herself - It was lovely that you had a lovely stay but we need to settle up for the remaining services and then list the indescretions - with fees beside them 

I am sure Maggie from Scotland can afford such luxuries that you; I am sure, dont want to, care not to, or wont

Julia0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Vir, it sounds like you really enjoyed your guest, Maggie! Well done for allowing for her eccentricities, and how wonderful that you now have a 53 year old child!

Thank you for your story, it cheered me up this morning!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Vir0

Indeed a nightmare of a guest who completely disrespects her hosts and boundaries, while cloaking it in veil of bulldozer-charm excentricity and 'spirituality'.

Rupesh1
Level 2
Mumbai, India

Nice story..Thanks for sharing Vir 🙂

Manjeet0
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Her character: reminds me of Evelyn Greenslade from Best Exotic Marigold Hotel !