Marijuana/cannabis legalization in Canada

Janine3
Level 6
Toronto, Canada

Marijuana/cannabis legalization in Canada

Hey, fellow hosts in Toronto & elsewhere in Canada.  With the legalization of cannabis pending (in a couple weeks as I write),  has anyone thought about addressing this in their House Rules? 

Are you considering smoking dope the same as smoking tobacco?  Or different?  Any rules around edibles?   Do you think there will be any impact on your hosting experience? 

Appreciate any replies. 

9 Replies 9
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

If you have no-smoking units then it means no smoking at all. I don't think you have to specify anything.

Marijuana has much stronger smell then tobacco.

Gary-and-Kristina0
Level 2
Florissant, CO

We are not in Canada, but we host in Colorado where cannabis has been legal for several years. I think you'll find the majority of your guests will consume edibles or vape products (which have very little odor). While cannabis smoke can smell strong at the time it is being smoked, it dissipates very quickly and leaves little residual odor. (Cigarette smoke clings to everything - cannabis does not.) In fact, our guest cabin rules specifically state only cannabis may be smoked - we don't allow cigarettes at all - and we've never received a complaint from any of our guests, consumer or not. We've never had any issues with cannabis consumers - drinkers is a whole 'nother story! 

On the flip side - I absolutely believe, it is up to the host as to what you are comfortable within your home. I am a professional cannabis writer and educator, so I am very fluent in how to advise my guests and provide them with the guidance they need - how to consume responsibly so they have a great time and actually 'remember' their vacation. 🙂

I would recommend learning as much you can about cannabis consumption and your laws if you do open your home to consumers. This will help keep you and your guests as knowledgeable as possible. I am more than happy to answer any questions anyone has as well! Education is key to understanding the new market and it's my full-time 'day job.' 

Janine3
Level 6
Toronto, Canada

Gary &/or Kristina - I can't tell which one of you is the professional cannabis writer & educator -  but thanks for this, it is very helpful.   With all the media & conversation about the pending legalization in Canada (including warnings that people who own stock in cannabis companies might be prohibited from crossing the US/Canada border!!!),  I've been wondering how it's all been going in Colorado and the few other states where recreational use is legal.  I appreciate the benefit of your experience.

janine 

Amber195
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Hi. Now that it's legal and you have your places for airbnb and there is no smoking... then you shouldn't have to tell them no smoking allowed.  In all honesty some persons still refuse to smoke Marijuana as it can be to strong for them... but speaking of Marijuana... which is its name.. it's not DOPE...DOPE is another drug that is mixed with cocaine and other stuff.... so when writing or speaking of or about MARIJUANA  please use correct spelling... and please note that there are many drugs out there not all are called dope. Amber

While I absolutely agree that tobacco smoke is both stinkier and clingier (axe perfume is maybe as bad tho!) I'd be careful about allowing cannabis smoking due to the slippery slope maxim, you probably wouldn't even notice the vaper but the folks who smoke up several ounces will leave be leaving their mark. I'm speaking as a parent who raised a family in Berkeley & was NOT happy with the results of leaving a young adult kid in charge of the cats while we were away. I had to wash the curtains downstairs as well as all the bedding, Sally

In Massachusetts marijuana has become legal but in our house rules no smoking means no smoking. We have also included vaping and candle burning. We do not want the smoke smell or even a scented candle smell. We also feel that there can be less chance of a guest being careless. If anyone wants to use an edible marijuana that is fine. We have no problem with guest using it just don’t leave the smell and mess for us to clean.

Well maybe we are wozers, but our house rules forbid guests who smoke.   So no drugs, No vaping no edibles,  No perfume.    We have refused a few guests based on this, but since we have about 80% occupancy,  and no related problems in two years,  it works for us.

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

To me "no smoking" in the house rules means no smoking anything 🙂  

Ruth7
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

For me, my insurance says no smoking in the house . But I also include insence and candles in that as they are a fire hazard and stink. You can make any rules you want as it is your house. Good luck!