My landlord has been fined by the DOB of NYC - $9250 fine to be paid

Zael0
Level 1
New York, NY

My landlord has been fined by the DOB of NYC - $9250 fine to be paid

My landlord has been fined, he is obviously asking me to pay.

The DOB reviewed the public Airbnb apartment pictures available on my profile.

$4,750 plus late fees for the 4 violations 3*$1,500 (only one doesn’t have late fees!).

I’m not a big fish I was renting my place to go on vacation and rarely over a month every year. 

I wish someone would have told me I was taking such a big risk. I’m not trying to scare you but warn you that’s it’s possibke it’s not happening to others. 

NYC doesn’t allow short term rental less than 30 days. I’m being very factual I’m not mentioning that to save money we decided to move from this apartment and leave Manhattan 

I’m very disappointed by the inexistant support of the Airbnb legal team. I know they have bigger fish to fish ... or greater matter to address lately but would have been great to support their user and our community.

I’ve been a user since 2013 and a recent host in NYC ...

with an overall grade of 5 stars cause I love to have people feeling at home. 

I’m traveling a lot because of my work and I’ve always hated cold apartments used for investments.

10 Replies 10
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Zael0 If you were the one who listed the apartment on Airbnb and you were taking the money from the guests, of course that you are the one who needs to pay the fine. I am not from New York but reading the forum here I have learned that they have some pretty strict rules and since you live there and you have decidided to do business there it is your responsibility to go by the rules. Airbnb is only a page where guests book places to stay ant they are responsible for the reservations, it is up to the host to provide all the legal documents. Airbnb will remove your property from the platform if you are doing it illegaly.

Airbnb states they do not offer legal advice or help. It is the user’s responsibility. You also need to think about your neighbors which is a reason why NYC has these laws. Having strangers coming in & out of the apt building is not safe for tenants nor is it fair for them to pay rent when their building is used as a hotel instead. Many guests cause problems for tenants by being very noisy, partying and effecting the quality of their living environment. Tenants have the right to report illegal renting to the DOB and/or landlord.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Zael0, I'm not sure what the legal team could do in this case, considering it is unlawful under current policy in NY, short of challenging the law in court and taking it up the court ladder.

I agree with @Ana1136, if you knowingly hosted in this situation, you are responsible for the fine as well as understanding the laws and statutes in the area. 

Good luck to you! 

Mike857
Level 1
New York, NY

@Zael  i'm in the same situation (i will be ) the city charged my landlord with 4 violations and they will probably try to have me pay it. do you have any advices what i should do ?

My advice is to pay it. You have broken the laws in your municipality, you have received the income, you-not your landlord is responsible for the fines.

I have questions? How did airbnb know? Also how did the landord get the fine? Mail, Phone call, etc? 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@James1693 Airbnb doesn't fine the landlord or anyone, the city councils and authorities do for breaking the law. 

Michael2710
Level 2
New York, NY

How did this get resolved? Why would airbnb collect fees and not offer host assistance in this case?  The host takes all the risk. 

I recently got 4 violations for my two family home. 1. For not having sprinklers 2. Not having fire alam. 3 not having another means of egress, which I have and 4. Have transient tenants. I was told to cut violations I just have to stop operation with Airbnb. I thought it was ok for 1&2 family homes to operate with Airbnb. Anyone knows what I can do or what’s new with this. I’m thinking about selling the house and getting out 

Luis2888
Level 1
New York, United States

Short term rentals are very illegal in nyc that is any rental shorter than 30 days without you present in the apartment.  The fines are because they considered you having a hotel and not following the safety codes for hotels. .... more than likely you will have to pay it ...