NY Multiple Dwelling Law

Cynthia433
Level 1
Buffalo, NY

NY Multiple Dwelling Law

Hello from Buffalo NY.

New York State Multiple Dwelling Law

We are reading this to say these rules only apply in cities where more than 350,000 people live (population).

Buffalo NY has less than 350k.

Does this rule for multiple dwelling apply?

Can anyone show us a reference to handle a dispute?

Thanks!

John & Cindy G

3 Replies 3
Cynthia433
Level 1
Buffalo, NY

"...these rules only apply in cities where more than 350,000 people..."

@Cynthia433 you need to find out if the MDL got adopted by Buffalow.

§3. Application to cities, towns and villages.

1. This chapter shall apply to all cities with a population of three hundred twenty-five thousand or more.

2. The legislative body of any other city, town or village may adopt the provisions of this chapter and make the same applicable to dwellings within the limits of such city, town or village by the passage of a local law or ordinance adopting the same; and upon the passage of such local law or ordinance all of the provisions of articles one, two, three, four, five, ten and eleven and such sections or parts of sections of the other articles of this chapter as such local law or ordinance shall enumerate, shall apply to such city, town or village from the date stated in such law or ordinance.

Robert1448
Level 2
New York, NY

I'm in NYC and I thought 2 family homes and single family homes were viewed in a similar way to apartments. If you are on premises/live there you can rent out space. 

Technically the multiple dwelling law applies to 3 family or more buildings from my reading - and I'm not a legal expert for sure!

Anyway, I've just heard that the city is hitting owners with fire and safety violations which is pretty frustrating. I'm not a slum lord with hundreds of apartments. I have family overseas and doing this allows me to have family stay with me when they visit. 

Has anyone else heard aboiut this or had experience?