NYC Airbnb Laws

Lee93
Level 2
New York, United States

NYC Airbnb Laws

Have you seen any info about what is happening now with new law the NYC Council just passed that will make all of the host's info available to NYC.  I read this AM that it is just waiting for the Mayor to sign and it absolutely will be happening.  The original expectation was that hosts would have to register to sign up with NYC before airbnb would allow them to stay on the platform, but this law will require airbnb to turn over all hosts info or face $1500 per listing fines.  I just wonder how quickly this will take effect.   It would be nice if airbnb could give NYC hosts a head's up about what is expected to happen.  

18 Replies 18
Elizabeth429
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Lee93,

All of the info you have shared with Airbnb will be shared with your local townhall/council/revenue.

This is happening all over the world within big cities. In fact, Airbnb has been sending emails requesting hosts to delete their listing in the next 48h because they dont comply their local goverment requirement or dont have the so call license to rent their space. 

Lee93
Level 2
New York, United States

The NYC law is different than what has happened so far in other US cities and as of now airbnb has not notified hosts about it.  

Karoline20
Level 2
New York, NY

https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/189121453

This profile should be taken off Airbnb. She made an inquiry and asked for discounts on my apartment. I didn’t agree to the discount. Then she kept on bargaining. Someone else booked those dates while she was bargaining with me. She’s upset I didn’t accept her offer so she threatened to make trouble in my community with my landlord. As you well known, Airbnb has a lot of resistance in New York. She knows by making trouble with my landlord and my neighbor, she could create a lot of trouble for me (she also lives and hosts in New York. She's in between two leases, she temporarily needs a place to stay). I could be evicted from my apartment if that happens. Airbnb should do something because you can't have every guest blackmail the hosts when they don't get the discounts they want. I called Airbnb for help, but the representative said because the guest didn’t make a reservation, they couldn’t help me. This guest knows where I live and knows how I look like because I put all that information on Airbnb. I trusted that Airbnb would protect me when things like this happen. Airbnb should do something about it instead of just saying we can't help you.

Kay48
Level 2
New York, NY

I have been contacted about the new bill that passed the council. After the mayor signs it, it will take 180 days to take effect. I have not read the bill yet, but as far as my understanding goes, names and addresses will be shared with the city's special enforcement team as well as the type of listing (ie. entire place, private room, etc.) This is different than what is happening in other cities. Airbnb is considering how to handle this and is considering their next step. It's insane that local pols can accept campaign donations from the hotel industry and unanimously pass this bill. If that's not corruption, I don't know what is. My rep also says she's not worried about the little guy (you and I) but the landlords that take stabilized units off the market to grossly profit from them. I doubt that.

Lee93
Level 2
New York, United States

Thank you for this info.  I see now that this got signed in to law and airbnb is being taken to court because nyc is asking a judge to make airbnb comply and turn over this info.  I really wish they would inform their hosts in nyc about this.  The whole country's political system is built on donations.  I love Chris Lehane, who manages this kind of policy and strategy for airbnb, but he knows the political system of donations makes the world spin, better than anybody. so personally I don't think this is the best argument they could have made but it probably fits in to their disruptor ethos which is something I guess.  What I am concerned with now is that they say they are looking out for us hosts, but not communicating with us.  nyc has gone after little guys as well and sometimes in a big way.  Unless airbnb can make a deal with nyc we are at the mercy of the law here and it isn't looking good for us or airbnb.  

I agree. It’s not looking very good at all. I’m wondering how many people are spooked and planning to pull their listings.

I have a 2 family townhome and in spite of me being above board and doing everything legally I still had the Department of buildings come out to my home on some fake “anonymous” 311 compkaint that I had knocked down walls and turned my place into an illegal hotel....none of which was true. I mistakenly let them into my home and they saw that there were no issues at all and they left but not before giving me a very strict warning that “Airbnb is illegal everywhere in the city so don’t even think of doing it” .....Ha!  

Hi had a visit this morning as well.  Detp. of buildings, with sherriff and some other official.  They also gave me a warning that fines were very hefty for using one of the units in my 2 family home for Airbnb.  What now?

Orestes2
Level 1
New York, NY

I live in a 1 family 3 bedroom Landmark townhouse in LIC Queens. 

I rent out the ground floor bedroom for guests from Airbnb. Which is totally legal.

I did not remove a rental unit fr the NYC market. Im simply sharing a room in my house.

This afternoon, I had a team of NYC Inspectors knock on my door and ask to inspect the premises, as there was (for the second time) a 311 anonymous complaint that I was using my place as "a Hotel".

Upon inspection , they found no illegalities in my set-up, except that I listed my room as a place for up to 4 people .

They said that I couldnt do that anymore....and that I could only rent the room to a max of 2 people.

That means that now I can't rent to couples w/ 2 kids.

Is that legal?

Does anyone know the rules of this?

Thanks

As far as I know thats a bunch of crap, it sounds like the enforcement team is making things up as they go along.  I don't know any law that says anything about a family of 4 traveling together that would prohibit them from renting a room and staying in it.  Pick any hotel on any given night of the week and look at the bookings you will find plenty of familys staying with 4 people in 1 room.  I'd be curious to find which statute this violation stems from...

Under no circumstances should you allow the city into your home without a warrant. 

Most building Code has a limit of occupancy - typically 8 people per property. You may be running into that.

What at is interesting is that WA treats any building with 3 STR as a hotel, and requires license inspection etc. not much enforcement here so far. 

Wow, same happened to me. The anonymous 311 complaint. 

Ephraim0
Level 10
New York, NY

For shame.

Sonali7
Level 2
New York, NY

Happened to me today - they spoke to my guest who happened to be leaving at the same time they were ringing my bell...I ended up canceliing all my bookings and takign my listing down, losing thousnds of dollars during the holiday season...corrupt plitics and lobbyists...Did anyone get fined?