No show

Susan1196
Level 2
Swords, Ireland

No show

Hi can someone give me a bit of advise a guest booked for 2 nights was a no show and did not cancel with airbnb so blocked my room and is now looking for a refund

4 Replies 4
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Susan1196Did you attempt to contact the guest at all to determine if they weren't coming, and if so, was it through the Airbnb messaging?

I had this exact scenario at Christmas. A family booked for 3 nights, then never showed. I tried every contact method to find out if they were still coming, with no response. I got quite worried, and called Airbnb and let them know that the guest was a no-show. The weather was quite bad, and I was concerned that something could have happened to them. Airbnb looked at the account and said that as they could see that I had made an honest attempt to contact the guest, if they asked for a refund, they would not receive one, as they had never reached out to let me know their plans had changed. Sure enough, they never showed up, and I kept the money.  

If the guest is just asking you at this point, I would just tell them no, explaining that their booking blocked your calendar and you didn't have the opportunity to host another guest. 

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Susan1196  @Alexandra316

Excellent advice based on experience.  Thanks, Alexandra, for answering Susan and writing so clearly,

This is how I learn so that when I encounter a situation for the first time I have someone's knowledge and experience stored away somewhere for reference.

Thanks for this forum.

Tony539
Level 1
Dublin, Ireland

I've had this a number of times, a guest has never asked for a refund though.  if you have made every effort to contact the guest, you can do no more. you shouldn't lose earnings for a no show. 

Anne1036
Level 5
Ballinakill, Ireland

I agree entirely with previous posters. If a person has booked and not shown up thereby preventing you from letting your space to someone else then I would not issue a refund, unless there was some very exceptional circumstance that prevented them from contacting you a reasonable time in advance. I would just politely decline their request.