Occupancy Taxes

Claudia1174
Level 2
Elmsford, NY

Occupancy Taxes

Hi,

Did any of you hosts in the Woodstock area receive a letter from the finance department about charging 2% occupancy tax? I received the letter and the form to fill out and send quarterly with declared income and payment of the 2%. So far I sent the application for the approval of accupancy and when the send the certificate I have to display it at the property.

And thought on this?

5 Replies 5
Bill281
Level 1
New York, NY

Hi Claudia -

Host in Kingston, NY. I received same letter. I’m wondering how I’m supposed to collect that 2% completely separately from the booking? Figuring out how to properly keep the state and local taxes in order is quickly becoming a nightmare. 

Any info would be helpful. 

Thanks-

Bill

Same issue in Phoenicia, NY.  What did you guys figure out?  

Will AirBnB collect the 2% tax for us, or do we need to collect it somehow?

On AirBnB site, I can't find a tax retention area to add a 2% tax collection to the fees.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin

I spoke to airbnb when I got the letter. They have no relationship in place with Ulster county therefore cannot collec the tax and forward to the county. The way the county wants us to give them the tax seems to me to be illegal from the info they sent! My question is can the county break its own law? I don't think so.

Sondra

Hi Bill

Hosting in Kerhonkson....I read the original letter and my take is that it is illegal by the info they sent for us to collect the tax for a couple of reasons. I think I have some info to share. I wonder if any local hosts want to meet up to discuss this and possibly consult with a lawyer. I am willing to put my phone # here if anyone else is willing!

Sondra

Sondra13
Level 2
Kerhonkson, NY

In Kerhonkson....also got the letter. I have done nothing yet. The way I read the first letter, (which I ignored), it is illegal for us to collect the tax according to the legal info Ulster county sent with the original letter. Would love to get together with you other local Ulster county hosts to discuss this. Anyone interested?

Sondra