Palm Beach County/West Palm Beach regulations

Elizabeth-And-Ken0
Level 2
West Palm Beach, FL

Palm Beach County/West Palm Beach regulations

Greetings,

Just wanted to see if anyone with hosting experience would be able to provide info about Palm Beach County and also City of West Palm Beach regulations.  Taxes, permits, etc.  Your wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-E

21 Replies 21
Brandon40
Level 2
West Palm Beach, FL

What have you discovered?

I also want to know if there is no problem in renting a room in Tampa Florida. Someone who tells you about your experience, please.

Joy152
Level 1
West Palm Beach, FL

There is a 7% State tax, which AirBnB collects on your behaf. There is a yearly Tourist Hotel Occupancy license fee with county and also city. The WPB city tax of 6%, you collect. I raised my prices to include the 6%, because it can't be listed on AirBnB and it was too awkward to tell the guests about after they booked.

My ISSUE is the 7 day minimum stay. If you book for less than a week, you can be cited and brought into court. I wasn't aware of that, and am fully booked for month of April (my first bookings). Some are, indeed, a week, but others are not. I think this really cuts back on the business you could get. Does anyone else have this issue, or know any way to get it changed? Seems to me that the City and County and State would want us to generate more business., not less, with the taxes they are charging (11%).

Hi Joy. Where is the information about the 7 day min stay located at?  I can't seem to find it on the palm beach county or west palm beach websites.

Hello,  Where did you see minimum stay 7 days? I look on the website and nothing.

William-and-Carlos0
Level 2
West Palm Beach, FL

I recently received an EXPENSIVE reprimand by the county and city for not collecting the 6% Tourist Development Tax, which I had assumed Air-BNB collected (as does VRBO, etc). I was informed by Air-BNB that it is up to the host to collect as well as to inform the guest of need to do so. This has resulted in conflict with some guests, even though I have a notice of the tax in property-profile and sent with thank you note for booking; they claim to have already paid the required taxes through Air-BNB.

Also, be aware that the city of West Palm Beach requires that short-term rentals are limited to a minimum stay of 7 days; yet there are hosts in the area allowing for even less stays.

With all the government crack down on short term rentals, I would presume that Air-BNB would be much more supportive of those Hosts following local regulations: such as by at least informing guests  (if not collecting) that there is an additional 6% TDTax to be paid at time of arrival. Also, hosts should be cautioned of the city regulations such as taxes due and minimum length of stay. Failure to do so would place LAW-ABIDERS at a competitive disadvantage.

"be aware that the city of West Palm Beach requires that short-term rentals are limited to a minimum stay of 7 days" 

Where can this information be found at? What department handles these issues?

Hello William and Carlos, I am new to Airbnb, hosting here in West Palm Beach.  Do we need a Licene with the DBPR to host from your single Family home? 

Andrew886
Level 2
Delray Beach, FL

So can someone clarify what taxes AirBnb collects for an AirBnb in Palm Beach County [specifially Delray Beach]? 

My understanding is AirBnb collects the 6% state tax but we have to submit the 6% Tourist Development Tax on our own. Is there other taxes that need to be add in as well? Is the best method to add the TDT tax by incorporating it into the price? 

Also if anyone can tell me what permits/licesnses I need for Palm Beach County/City of Delray I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance! 

Mariah25
Level 1
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

this is so frustrating.   Air Bnb said we need to set up a way every booking to get the tourist tax.  

“Under county law, all hosts are required to register with the tax collector’s office, turn over the bed tax paid by the renter to the tax collector, submit the sales tax paid by the renter to the state and pay $33 annually for a business tax receipt.”

I just wonder if 7 days minimum stay enforced in whole West Palm Beach county?

I have experience with Air BNB mostly as a guest, but now I am thinking to rent  attached  bedroom with bathroom and kitchenet  1 miles from the beach.  To rent house for a week makes sense for me, but to rent small studio… Will it make any economic sense?  Or better just do long term (1 year) rent on my own?

Hi! Does anyone has links to 7 day requirement? Also at some time there was information on Palm Beach Tax collector site about 30 day minimum to rent without licence, but that information seems to be gone now.

Does anyone have any information on that? 

I contacted the tax collectors office and this is what they said:

"For the county requirements you will need to complete a Business Tax Receipt Application for $33 and file and pay by the 20th of the following month. If no tax is due for that reporting period, a return must be filed indicating $0.00 due. Unfortunately, I do not know the City of West Palm requirements for short term rentals. You will have to contact their office for more information 561-822-2222."

Chad14
Level 1
Palm Beach, FL

I was just given and received a non-certified letter from Code  enforcement North Palm Beach County advised me that I need to immediately get  my state county and city license and licensing requirements for short term rentals  and then if I do not see used in doing business as a vacation rental or I will be paying 25% fees on my gross income.  Please hel I’ve been crushed out of nowhere!!! Who can help