Power Outage and other Utility Problems

Terri38
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Power Outage and other Utility Problems

What impact has the recent power outage and the resulting internet and hot water issues (ongoing...) had on your bookings and cancellations?
I took the approach of Let the Guests Know what the issues were and Let Them Decide whether to cancel the booking or to go ahead with it.

2 guests went ahead, figuring (probably quite correctly!) they wouldn't be guaranteed to find a powered up place for that price.  Turned out to be wonderful guests.

2 guests decided not to cancel - but oh boy, I wish they did!!

After a few days, power was restored but as of an hour ago, I have no hot water.  I think it's my turn to be ripple-controlled (power company shuts off power to hot water cylinders when their lines are overloaded).
But I do have a houseful of guests.  If there is still no hot water tomorrow, I think we will be going down the Cancel road.  Hopefully things will be sorted before the next guests arrive.

1 Reply 1
Ifeoma3
Level 2
Nigeria

I need an advice from fellow Nigerian hosts. Am fairly new and this is my 2nd host and as of the time of my listing the power from the city was not bad so i was excited to offer standby generator but unfortunately I didnt understand  the  effect of my discount on long stays will affect me this bad. My listing was initially for $17 dollars using the smart pricing (Which I regret) only for me to get a booking for 33days for $8.5 per night and now I have tried to explain to the guest that the amount paid is going to be approximately the same amount I will be spending on buying fuel if he continues to demand for the generator even during the day but he has refused to understand with me. 

Please how do i approach this? I intend to offer him a maximum 7hrs in case of power outage which costs $3  or adk for extra $3 for unlimited number of hrs or ask him to cancell bcos it doesn't make sense for me to host a guest and be at a loss.

I believe if he paid $11 per night I will be comfortable to provide the generator as many hrs he wants so please i need your advice as the guest has not stayed up to a week.

The city power schedule for now makes power available at night between these hrs

8pm - 10pm

12pm till morning