Provide cleaning products

Provide cleaning products

Hi,

I am a new Host on the Mornington Peninsula. I am hoping to share ideas and knowledge with other hosts here. My host house is an ordinary old brick home but cosy that sleeps 9. This might be a simple question but do I need to provide washing powder, dishwashing liquid, tea/coffee, toilet paper/tissues etc to the guests. I'm not too sure to what extent I should be providing the basic things.

Any suggestions would help.

Thankyou

Seval

10 Replies 10
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

It would help for you to pretend to be a preferred guest , @Seval0, so you want to offer what would appeal to that guest. Are you renting for long terrm or short term?  If you want guests that stay for one or two nights, cleaning supplies are not needed but toilet paper is.  If you want long term stays then you might provide start up provisions.

Ok. Thankyou Linda for replying.

Seval

Allan53
Level 2
Oakleigh East, Australia

Hi,

I provide all these products to all guests on a 'start up basis' and if they are staying long term I continue with provision of toilet paper wash powder. My approach is that if you place yourself in the shoes of your guest, who has travelled to your location, tired and possibly unsure what to expect, then a cosy place, a coffee and toiletries are just what is appreciated.

Thankyou Alan for replying, that sounds good. I'll keep that in mind.

Seval

Cathy172
Level 10
Dennis, MA

Hi @Seval0 When I was starting up I didn't know about the Community Center, so I was making up my own procedures by my own weird logic. I figure the guests pay by the day, so the the supplies on hand should be enough for the duration of their stay. And if there are cleaning supplies, vacuum, etc on hand, my house will reap the benefit. I am fond of the expression "perceived value"- my guests' appreciation for what is included is greater than what any of it costs me.

@Seval0 Hello! I'm not sure what type of guests you normally get, but like other host's have mentioned, think about what you would expect if you were the guest. 

Whether it is for 1 night or 1 month, would you want to book a home where they provide no TP, liquid soap for dishes, kleenex, soap and the guest has to buy or bring everything? If there is no dishwashing soap, how many guests do you think will bother to buy liquid soap to do the dishes? In my opinion, very few! Especially guests staying under 1 week, will probably use every single clean plate and bowl available, then just leave a pile of dirty dishes in the sink. I agree with @Cathy172 that whether it is short term or long term, if I provide TP and soap for short term guests I should provide the same for long term guests. So in my case, I tend to have a lot of long term guests (exchange students for a whole semester) and I thought it's just easier to charge enough to cover the cost of providing most of the basic amenities as well as regular changes of clean bedding and towels thru out the entire reservation. I also communicate very clearly about what I provide vs. what I do not, and also what my expectations are in terms of guest behavior. For instance, I allow use of my washing machine and provide detergent and fabric softner - and clearly say this is for the guest's personal laundry only. 

Also, I provide coffee, tea, water and a few other beverages along with a couple snacks. It doesn't cost that much more, and it is stuff I also consume so I have plenty at home anyway. I do this because it is not a lot of extra work or cost from my side, but every host's situation is different. Think about what you are  comfortable with in addition to what you think guests will appreciate to decide what YOU will do. Good luck~

Thankyou Jessica and Henry, that all makes sense. Benefits by providing the necessary things will probably outweight the costs. I'll see how I go, haven't had any bookings yet, fingers crossed.

Seval

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hello @Seval0 , I recently began hosting in April of 2017. My first housekeeper kept complaining about what a mess the guest would leave every time. The housekeeper also insisted that no cleaning supplies be left out. I realized quickly, not everyone will leave a mess if you provide the supplies to clean. So now I leave full cleaning supplies with mops and brooms for guest to use. Our maid's intention seemed self serving by creating "more work". Things have improved markedly. I am also transitioning into all plastic and removing the glass. If you go with glass, plan on refreshing your inventory on a regular. We also provide all toilet paper, paper towels for the kitchen, tissue boxes for the bedrooms, soap, shampoo, towel sets and spa slippers. I always put myself in the guest place. Would I want to pack a few rolls of toilet paper in my suitcase? Or is that really petty on the grand scale? Anyone can list a room but true host sell you comfort and relaxation. Obviously I'm still learning but I'm happy to share my follies with other host. 

I totally agree. Its a matter of thinking abou what you would expect if a guest yourself and not trying to cut costs at the expense of the guest 

Devin-and-Sarah0
Level 3
Calgary, Canada

@Seval0 Definitely put yourself in your guest's shoes, but you don't need to provide absolutely everything. If you want an amazing blog to read that breaks down Airbnb kitchens, bathrooms, living rooms, and even bedrooms. It would be too much to put in here. It's www.airbnbuniverse.com/airbnb-kitchen-essentials

Devin & Sarah, Superhost and Bloggers