Request for Airbnb Plus Team: I Need Help!

Francesco602
Level 10
Naples, Italy

Request for Airbnb Plus Team: I Need Help!

Dear Airbnb Plus Customer Service, I'm Francesco, the owner of Margherita a Chiaia apartment in Naples, Italy. Recently I've been invited to join the Airbnb Plus program and luckily everything went well so far. I'm currently at the last step, which involves the final publishing of the apartment as a "Plus Ad". Unfortunately, for some reason, I'm experiencing technical issues completing this process, plus I'm very disappointed with the pictures chosen. They're just few of them (in my opinion not enough to show my entire place) and also look very washed out, with no details and no right balance between highlights and shadows.

Here's a detailed list of the issues I'm having:

- There are no washing machine's pictures associated with my apartment, therefore I'm not able to upload them in the "laundry section" where they're required. I'm 100% sure that you have these pictures as the photographer took them on the shooting day. 

- I'm not happy with the overall quality of the pictures. They all look very washed out, with no details and are also very strange in colours. I don't know if you had the opportunity to watch the pictures I previously uploaded in my ad, but from these you could see the real colours and tints of the apartment. It's not just about colours, it's about the "final look". They really don't look professional or as detailed as they should be. I'm also pretty sure that the photographer uploaded both RAW and JPEG images to your platform, which means that you should be having the original files with "more natural" colours. I understand that your program involves extremely bright pictures (which is a good thing by the way), but there's no reason to open the shadows so much and make the photos look very unrealistic.

- I think that some crucial parts of my apartment are missing: sofa-bed and washing machine, for example. I also think that I should be given the opportunity to choose between the multiple shots taken by the photographer as I'm the owner of the apartment, therefore I'm the only one who knows how it is inside. I'd like to get at least one picture of the giant mirror in the master bedroom also.

- I think I should be given the opportunity to choose the "cover picture", as the one already chosen it's not really attractive. A sofa is definitely less attractive than a wide angle view of the living room. Just compare my previous cover pictures to understand what I’m saying. 

- There are a lot of other pictures/view that are missing. I don’t understand why you decided to crop almost half of the images and made them look so washed out and with no details. In the kitchen pictures you can barely see what’s in there. Everything is blown out. I’m a photographer and I personally know the guy (Diego) who took pictures in my apartment. I helped him during the shooting and I’m 100% that the pictures he gave to were way better than the ones just modified by your team.

- I also think it’s pretty unfair that I’m the only one receiving this bad treatment, while, instead, all of the others Plus ad look pretty nice or even better compared to the previous pictures.

- I'm experiencing severe issues while trying to add services to each room. For some reason I get an "error message" that won't let me go ahead in the process.

As an attachment you're going to find screenshots of the errors mentioned above, plus the bad looking photos that compared to the previously ones are tremendously washed out for no reason:

ATTACHMENT
ATTACHMENT

The first pictures was shot taken by me few months ago when I uploaded my listing on Airbnb. The second one, instead, is retouched by the Plus Team. I understand that the second one is brighter (which is what you’re looking for with your “design program”), but it’s too much. Everything’s blown out, blurry or with no details. Also all the colours are fake. The real colours are the ones in my first picture.

ATTACHMENT
ATTACHMENT

Are you serious? Do you really consider the second picture “professional”? Colours are fake and everything’s blurry and blown out. 
It’s really a shame that a program based only on images is lacking on images quality.

I hope you can help me to solve the problems.

TAKEN BY METAKEN BY MERETOUCHED BY THE PLUS TEAMRETOUCHED BY THE PLUS TEAMTAKEN BY METAKEN BY MERETOUCHED BY THE PLUS TEAMRETOUCHED BY THE PLUS TEAMCROPPED SO MUCH FOR NO REASON!CROPPED SO MUCH FOR NO REASON!

6 Replies 6

Dear Francesco, 

I completely agree that the brighter, washed out photos do not reflect your apartment. They make your place look light and airy and the first complaint you will receive is that the photos are deceptive and make your dark apartment look brighter. It is not dark, but will appear so if compared to the washed out photos. On the positive side, sometimes a closeup makes nice details stand out, so you need those as well, and I like the bedroom photo in that I can see that you have nice quality towels. Buona Fortuna!

Dear @Donna240

thanks for your prompt response. I totally agree on what you're saying and certainly I'm not against detail's pictures or more zoomed in general. I'm just disappointed about having an advertisement that should be focused only on images that is lacking on their overall quality.
Finally I managed to get more photos assigned to my apartment (thanks to the numerous emails I've sent), but they're still looking washed out as mentioned before.

I did notice that your washing machine was now showing with the other photographs, so that's good. It's really a plus to have one available to guests. Your apartment is lovely and so very Italian. I could guess that from traveling to Italy so many times, even if I hadn't known the location. Your artwork and figurines are very charming. The figurines remind one of the rustic nativity figures sold all over southern Italy. I know you don't like the brightness of the photos, but it's better to have them consistant in appearance. Really, the apartment will sell itself, so I'm certain you'll do well with bookings, but Having paid over $100 for a small room at the Ibis across the piazza from the train station last year, I would recommend that you increase your price as it seems very low for the space and quality of the property. Is your neighborhood in the upper part of the city?

Donna

Dear @Donna240

yes, the advertisement was finally published and thanks to the emails previously sent I was able to get more pictures, even though they still look washed out.

I don't like the lacking of details or that most of the scenes are extremely zoomed in.

The apartment's building is in Chiaia, which is one of the most elegant and charming districts in town. The apartment is just 10 minutes walk from the seafront. 
I know that prices may seem too low for international standards, but there two other things to notice: 

- the price itself changes accordingly to the number of guests

- the price may change also depending on the period (I've set higher prices for the summer period)

- the average flat for 4 people with 2 bedrooms in Naples is around 120€-140€ per night, which means that my apartment is following that trend

MINEMINERETOUCHED BY AIRBNBRETOUCHED BY AIRBNB

@Francesco602    What a beautiful building, I love the entrance doors and marble staircases. 

I prefer your photos, better balance, color and exposure and they set a welcoming tone.  But it seems your complaint is the same as many PLUS hosts, bad photo processing, no ability to choose opening shots etc.  It appears that Airbnb is going for a somewhat homogenous look that they want to control in the PLUS listings - branding. My bet is Airbnb batch process the photos using an automated script with set parameters for balance, exposure etc.  hence the problems.  Check out other posts on this forum about PLUS.

Dear @Ange2, thanks for your reply.

Here's another comparison between one shot taken by me few months ago and the image that the Plus Team recently processed:

I really don't get why they decided to boost the highlights so much and to crop the beautiful doors. It really doesn't make sense.

SINISTRA: MIA. DESTRA: LOROSINISTRA: MIA. DESTRA: LORO