Restrictions on hosting limits in London

Cindy114
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Restrictions on hosting limits in London

I have a rental flat in Westminster. I have spent a lot of time on council sites for this 'approval' --Airbnb wants to host for more than 90days and it is it there.

the link Airbnb provides goes to approval for Planning permission, eg for renovations etc..

Airbnb care to help? Or has anyone followed / found how to get this approval?

18 Replies 18
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Cindy114 your post is rather garbled and I can't really understand what you are asking. But if it is that you want to host for more than 90 days then this could be a problem unless you apply for planning permisison for change of use, i.e domestic property to guest house.

Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yes as already stated, you'd need to go to the council and get approval via planning permission.  You're unlikely to get it because it would mean repurposing your home from a residential property to a guest home. 

David697
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi guys i don't know about you but I and others need more help on this and it is concerning. I have started a Facebook group 'Airbnb uk' and will try to add what I find out. Please join and let's get to the bottom of this! Thanks

Please can you let us know.  What a thing to happen.   

Seems to be complete confusion.   Some people say you can join other sites, just do air bnb for 90 days then use her sites like homeaway.   That's easy.  Don't see why not.  

yes as easy as not declare your incomes and rent without insurances or smoke alarm etc...

I have applied for planning permission to Hammersmith and Fulham council - it is not easy (flood risk assessment, land registry documents) and 2 months / £400 later, I am still no closer to getting permission to change the classification  from residential to guest house (which is what you need to do to get the certificate  and send to air Bnb to get the 90 day limit lifted).  Worse is that if I get approval (and the certificate), I will then need to battle with the air BnB site to work out where to send it to (as finding an email us hell). I am already blocked as I already have more than 90 days blocked for next year - it us fundamentally unfair that Air Bnb gave us so little time to seek the planning permission as I have already been warned that H&F council are likely to drag it out the full 3 months and make me go to appeal. Anyone else had any luck so far on the planning permission ? 

thank you for sharing this! looks like you are getting there! maybe you can call them to accelerate the process. one more question, if you get the approval, do you know what will be the impact on taxes moving this to a guesthouse versus prior situation?

Hi Linda, Frédéric & Kids!

I am also in Hammersmith & Fulham. I haven't applied for permission yet to allow short lets of more than 90 nights per year, but I think I'll have to start pursuing that because I really don't envisage receiving many (or any!) bookings of longer than 90 nights (which is what I've switched my parameters to) because I feel that not many people 'out there' realise that this is even an option through Airbnb - more promotion required!!

I was just wondering how you are getting on with it?

Are you able to provide a direct link to the area on the council website that you started the process from please?

Thanks

Daniel

Hi Daniel
Hmmm
Don't know what to advise you on that one..... I tried to do it all above board and submitted the planning application beginning of December last year (be aware that there is quite a bit of preparation to do with Flood risk assessment, land registry deeds etc). Basically H&F council waited until the last day (beginning of February I.e 60 days later) and have refused me. I have since found out that H&F council were one of the key councils that proactively pushed for Air Bnb to stop.
However, I have gone to central government appeal as the reasons that H&F council gave are not valid in my case . I have not heard back on that yet.

The link to search is planning permission - it's a central gov site and then you select the council.

On another note - by any chance - do you have a cleaner / property manager that you could recommend me please as after almost 3 years working for me, my property manager has just found a full time job and so from mid March, I am stuck (I already had bookings booked before the limit came in and also have family / friends staying who just pay the cleaning / check in fee).

Thanks
Linda

Hi Linda

Thanks for your reply.

Doesn't sound like much hope of getting any approval from H&F Council then! Best of luck with your appeal!

I'm afraid I don't know a reliable cleaning / management company, hence, I do it all myself. I just don't trust others to do the same deep clean that is required to maintain 5-star reviews...

Daniel

Hi Linda

i am in similar situation and thinking to get planning permission from H&F council of permanent to temporary use and are you hopeful of getting it ?

what is the process !

can you please send some light 

thanks 

Karann 

Hi Jean

The problems with switching to using other platforms include:

- starting from scratch with regards to reviews / listing ranking etc.

- Airbnb is FAR AND AWAY the most popular platform so you are less likely to get enquiries/bookings through other sites

- Airbnb's platform seems to be more 'robust' in every way... safety, real reviews, security, guaranteed payment etc...

- Other platforms will no doubt soon also have to uphold the local London laws by preventing bookings of more than 90 nights...

- Some platforms are VERY exclusive/selective see: OneFineStay

Kind regards

Daniel

Anne318
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

hi all,

in case the flat becomes a guest house, do you know what the rules /taxes are?