Short-term Rental Occupancy (STRO) Regulations

Janene7
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Short-term Rental Occupancy (STRO) Regulations

https://www.sandiego.gov/short-term-residential-occupancy

San Diego recently approved these new regulations.  I'm pretty sure they also apply to shared homes that rent out a room only, but I can't tell when it will it be implemented. 

Also, will Airbnb automatically meet these new requirements for hosts or will we need to start obtaining these permits and paying these fees ourselves?

5 Replies 5
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Janene7  Are you familiar with the Sharing Home Club of San Diego?  That Air BNB supported host group has a website on the Home Sharing tab under Discuss.  Probably have great expertise there.

Nina66
Level 2
Poway, CA

Does anyone know any attorneys handling the lawsuits against the City. 

Emilia78
Level 2
San Diego, CA

AS an Air bnb host for the last 4 yrs I am 100% behind the new laws in San Diego which limit vacation rentals to on-site hosts. And yes, you read right I AM an Air BNB host and this is my MAIN source of income.

Thankfully we also live onsite in the downstairs of our home and rent out the upstairs. Sometimes we travel and rent out all our units but we are usually never gone more than 5 weeks.

So the usual stunts guests pull can’t fly with us because we are ON SITE. But guests still try. Just today, even though we have house rules:

• No more guests occupying the property than are on the reservation at ANY time , and
  • No parties.

They broke both rules. The reservation was for 3 and I went upstairs to find 7 people drinking and playing loud music. I could tell that if I hadn’t intervened it WOULD have been loud, it WOULD have involved a lot of alcohol and possibly noise. And this is not the first time this happened. AIR bnb needs to do a better job of educating guests that this is NOT what AIRBNB is for.

So this leaves me to 110% understand why the new San Diego laws are FAIR and JUST. What if we were not here? Then our neighbors might have had to suffer. Or our other guests.

So stop complaining and brainwashing people that the city outlawed vacation rentals. NO they didn’t OUTLAW them, they just listened to the people who were asking for them to be more tightly CONTROLLED. As they SHOULD be, to protect our neighborhoods.

If hosts are not on site then they shouldn’t rent houses in residential neighborhoods. Period. Because the scenario I described above happens far too often.

And does air bnb help? It took me 15 minutes to get someone, I got transferred to a case manager and then trust and safety. It took 20 minutes and 3 people. What if it was URGENT? What if they broke a different house rules? What if I needed the police. NOT OK on so many levels.

I, as a long time Air BNB host 100% support the City’s decision to limit off-site vacation rentals. I can see why and it’s the RIGHT thing to do.

Emilia Nagy, Air BNB host, San Diego

Emilia,

I see you have copied and pasted your e-mail on several threads. I am not sure this is helpful to the Airbnb community. Best of luck.

For others:

I have a business liscence and pay a monthly tax based on revenue in the City of La Quinta, CA. I am shocked that SD is so behind-the-times here, however the 10% STVR tax there seems fair.

I hope this helps!

Morgan
Ro29
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Help, I'm not finding any informtion on how to pay the tax or how much it is.  I called the city and they said that it depends on location.  When I gave them the zip code they said that they dont know as it depends on exact location.  When I hit the link abovve the page has been taken off.  What are the new rules?