Special circumstances

Special circumstances

Hello All,

I am looking into using Airbnb as respite accommodation. I am keen to hear of any experiences, suggestions and advice from anyone who has hosted or been a guest with someone with Autism. Due to the nature of his disability the host might need to be accommodating in moving certain furntiture etc

Many Thanks

Simon

9 Replies 9
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Would you not be better interacting with bodies dealing with this issue, why use AirBnB as a booking service?

David

As the heading suggests, these are special circumstances. Thanks for your reply anyway, David.

Claudia391
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Hello Simon,

Welcome to Airbnb.

As to your question, my suggestion would be to provide more detail as to the level of autism involved and whether you would also be present. All hosts need to be well informed about the actual level of disability, actual requirements such as those mentioned i.e. moving furniture about etc, length of stay, the level of support that both of you will need. When choosing a place to stay, you will need to bear in mind safety features that a listing has to offer, in addition it is best to stay in a listing which has emergency services nearby should it be required.

Lastly, may I suggest that you fill out your profile page with info about yourselves and provide a picture as well. This provides a community feel and brings people closer.

Do contact me if you have any further thoughts on this.

Kind regards,

Claudia

Raman2
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Yes this is care air bandb. ..where they look after sick people in there home when they come out of hospital. .u have to provide 3 micro wave meals and it is a set rate of 50.00 a night 

Claudia391
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Raman2. I know this is a new initiative in Essex and provided by another company. Does our platform provide this? Kind regards, Claudia

https://carerooms.com

On the AirBnB platform perhaps set it up as an Experience? Not sure how else to do it.

David
Raman2
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Yes all areas covered by air bandb cover it...u arrange with host...u put under special circumstances or offers. .as long as you stick to 50 a day and three meals and bed u r within air b and b regulations. ..Unfortunately Asia is more accommodating than the west. But still many people will accept u..especially Co hosted properties 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

This is an interesting evolution of the shared economy that I have never considered!  While I have absolutely nothing to offer this discussion, I am looking forward to being educated.  Thank you!

Caroline628
Level 2
Tasmania, Australia

I am replying to the concept of using Airbnb as a respite. I think it is an interesting idea BUT the person booking the accommodation must be very clear about the situation and contact the host in advance to ensure all bases are covered. If it is respite care, I believe the carers, depending on the situation, change very often, sometimes on a daily basis. How can this be properly accommodated, especially when a linen service, cleaning etc are provided by the host? Parking, noise, cleaning, linen, length of time, number of guests, etc and the general house policy needs to be communicated to everyone who stays there. I speak from experience.  It is imperative that the guest and the host are both open and clear with eachother at all times. Most importantly, the guest needs to be upfront about why the property is being booked and whether the guest making the booking will be staying there.