Sudden influx in booking requests - Melbourne. Potentially fishy?

Sudden influx in booking requests - Melbourne. Potentially fishy?

Hi hosts,

Just wondering if anyone else in Melbourne has suddenly had an enormous influx in booking enquiries?

It's been fairly quiet for us over winter, but this week we've had requests coming thick and fast. Interestingly, some have cancelled their requests not long after making them. All requests were for quite immediate stays, ie this weekend and next week. Most have been accompanied by a basic one-sentence explanation: "Coming to Melb this weekend" etc.

Anything spammy going on? I did change our main photo recently but I doubt that'd make such a difference - ie 10 to 15 times more requests than other recent weeks.

Jac

4 Replies 4
JT-On-Behalf-Of0
Level 3
Santa Clara, CA

Perhaps Airbnb just ran a marketing campaign for Melbourne travel.  I'm just guessing on this one.

C-C0
Level 10
Memphis, TN

Yes. Spammy.
Vincent10
Level 4
Richmond, Australia

Jaclyn, go to the stat's page of your dashboard and have a look to see whether the date you changed your main photo caused an increase in views in the following days. If it did, then you may be correct in getting more requests. 

Rosemary19
Level 4
Victoria, Australia

Hmmm, it's hard to be sure based on the information you've provided. My property is in Melbourne and I've also had a small jump, which could be due to a number of factors. I'm also noticing more and more guests are new to AirBnB and just writing very short greeting messages. If you're uneasy, I'd suggest ensuring that you don't provide any confidential access information until you're comfortable that the guest is legit. Keep us posted on this one.