Suggestions for check-in/Key Exchange

Shannon27
Level 1
New York, NY

Suggestions for check-in/Key Exchange

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for exchanging keys with my guest? My partner and I work during the day and have meetings in Chelsea/Union Square when our guest arrives, and our place is way uptown in Spanish Harlem. My building requires a key to get into the main hallway, and then another key to get into the apartment. Considering she'd need a key to get into the hallway, I'm not sure where to leave the keys! I don't want to ask her to make her way all the way to Chelsea to pick up the keys, that'd be inconvenient. A lockbox on the apartment door wouldn't work due to her needing a key to get in the building. Any suggestions?

5 Replies 5
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Shannon27 I had a similar issue when I lived in NY. I lived in Harlem and work at Chelsea too. Back then, I always asked my guest what time is their arrival then I can discuss check-in process from there. I was not able to host some people because our schedule did not work out. You can always disclose the information in the listing and tell each guest before accepting their request that they need to get the key from Chelsea, if they are ok with it, then there won't be any problem. NY is a very competitive market, so as long as you can stay competitive, I think that some people will be ok with this. There is express subway anyway. 

August5
Level 2
New York, NY

I would find the local 24 hrs parking lot attendent. Make a deal and offer him money to leave the keys with him.

Shannon27
Level 1
New York, NY

Thanks! I found a service called Key Cafe. https://www.keycafe.com/

They have stations all over NYC. You can drop you keys off in one of their safes, and your guest can pick them up at the specificied location. I found one close to my place!

Jo-Anna1
Level 2
New York, NY

You can buy a lock off Amazon for $200 that uses finger print scan and records each and every enter. Also I would recommend getting Y2 motion detection cameras in that way each time a guest arrive you get a alert and you can direct them from there into their room. 

Hope the above helps. Good luck.

Michelle593
Level 2
New York, NY

Hi Shannon! I came across your post on the AirBnb community. We offer the exact type of services you need at the best prices you will find. Have a look at our website, feel free to reach out with any questions. [email address and link hidden]