TOT tax and registration

Chris-And-Erin0
Level 1
San Diego, CA

TOT tax and registration

I have called twice to find out if Airbnb pays the tot for San Diego bookings and I've gotten two different answers. Does anyone know if we are responsible for the TOT? Has anyone registered with the city? I want to remain within the limits of the city's laws. Thanks for your help.

Erin
19 Replies 19
Laurie7
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Yes, Airbnb charges the taxes to the guest. This payment then get's applied to your account, resulting in you being paid up per each reservation.

Thanks. We are in Ramona an unincorporated part of San Diego. I don't think they take the tax out for us.
D6
Level 1
Seaside, CA

I spent an hour and half on the phone today w/AirBnB...per my rep they do not process your TOT. There is no way to process the TOT for you and they do not have anyway to add in the percetnage requirement that might be needed for your city. However, other vacation rental agenices do this with out a problem IE: VXXX 

It is the responsiblity of each Host to comply in paying their TOT. The suggestion was to incorporate into your pricing, but if you have flex pricing and a seasonal range then this will not work.

Very frustrating... 

Louie1
Level 1
San Diego, CA

In San Diego city, airbnb collects and remits TOT to San Diego.

It will say so on your airbnb listing ---- check your listing:

• Click Manage Listing and Calendar for the listing you'd like to view
  • Select Location on the left -- down at bottom

As nobody knows, the TOT tax went down 9-1-16 for landlords renting fewer than 70 units.

It is now 10.5% for small landlords.  Hopefully, some flustered worker at airbnb has made the adjustment.

Melly1
Level 2
California, United States

I have not seen them take out tax payment on my listing bookings.

Steve31
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Just exploring the website a bit more.  Want to get on this thread, not sure how.  There as always with computers and internet seems to be a few glitches?  At 64, at times, I find this frustraing and hard to deal with. But guess it is life? Just read a post about smells from next door and a bad review.....so looking to make lemonade if I can, instead of my typical old and grouchy posture?  Peace, love and happiness.  Also, working on a 30 day+ stay too......Peace, love and happiness.  Hello from Thailand ..........

Jessica165
Level 2
Vista, CA

I know this is old but wanted to metion--it depends on which area of San Diego your rental is located. In north county they don't offer the ability to collect the TOT tax automatically for you and it mus be done by us on each rental. You can put a note in our rental description about the percentage that must be paid prior to arrival and accept payment via Venmo or Paypal. This is how most hosts do it in our area. 

Just replied to an email. I am again lost in the technical aspects and the way they work?  Is Jessica an Airbnb employee or a host?  

She is a host. The "Community" forums are for us hosts to help each other. This particular group is for Airbnb hosts in San Diego. 

Sorry I didn't see this until now- I'm a host in north county. 

Melly1
Level 2

What's the percentage ??

Melly1
Level 2

Then you just mail it in  ??

Barry65
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Can we bring this conversation up to present time?  I am in San Diego City, which appears to be a TOT supported area.  I am tryin to confirm that this tax is being paid by Airbnb, but don't see any sign of the charge in the transaction history.  What am I missing?

Melly1
Level 2

I think the tax is 10.5 % and you need to mail it in to the city or wait till they contact you via mail or Air Bnb-- Not sure.