TOT tax and registration

Chris-And-Erin0
Level 1
San Diego, CA

TOT tax and registration

I have called twice to find out if Airbnb pays the tot for San Diego bookings and I've gotten two different answers. Does anyone know if we are responsible for the TOT? Has anyone registered with the city? I want to remain within the limits of the city's laws. Thanks for your help.

Erin
19 Replies 19

If you have paid the required transient occupancy taxes, you can deduct these fees on your tax return. TOT fees are considered as business expenses and can be deducted on Schedule Eor Schedule C, depending on how you file your federal income taxes.

Liza4
Level 2
San Diego, CA

It's now August. 2017. Things change. Doesn't Airbnb come levy TOT tax in San Diego north county and remit it for us?  Seems I heard that is now how it's done. Anyone know for sure ? 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Chris-And-Erin0

A suggestion- ask your city office of department- they are more likely to have the definitive answer

Daniel1051
Level 1
Imperial Beach, CA

Great topic

My town home has been successfully listed with VBRO and I can set the TOT tax

Imperial beach is 10% I have to manually pay it every month

Im bran new to AIRBNB Still trying to get informatio

Martha264
Level 1
El Cajon, CA

I’m in an unincorporated part of SD county & Airbnb does not collect TOT. I went on the website for the county & also talked with a person in the tax collector’s office. Hosts are responsible for registering their Airbnb with the county, collecting tax from each guest (8%), & sending the money in to the county office quarterly. There are forms on the website to do all of this. It’s a self-registering system, as Airbnb does not notify the county of who is hosting. But if a host deducts expenses from the IRS for Airbnb costs, it makes sense to me to run the business within the law. 

There doesn’t seem to be a logical place to put this fee on our listings. Guests need to pay the tax upon arrival & need to be notified ahead of time. When I’ve gone on listings in other cities, it’s listed under Additional Fees ( I think).

What are other hosts doing?  Where do you list this tax?  Sorry for being wordy but there’s a lot to this!