Taxes

Rob58
Level 1
Craigieburn, Australia

Taxes

Hi All

Quiry about taxes when subletting a room. (We rent, not own).

Is this counted as income for tax purposes? Shoulnd we be paying tax on AirBNB bookings?

Seems to me it should be no different than having a room mate - their portion of the rent is not income or taxable.

We are not making more than the cost of rent. Only about 30%

4 Replies 4
City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

My answer will apply in the US and I am not an accountant but this is my understanding:

If you and a room mate both rent an appartment, you each rent a portion of the dwelling, and pay proportionally for utilities etc.  Your room mate is not renting 'from you' but 'from your landlord.'

The landlord will deduct expenses of his/her business and pay taxes on the net from the rental income.

If you rent the dwelling and then host AirBnb guests, you are renting the entire dwelling and receiving the income.  Then you will deduct YOUR expenses from your gross and pay taxes on your net.  Part of your expenses is the proportional cost of the rent on the part of the dwelling and the amount of time it is used for AirBnb business.

For example, you have a two BR apartment and rent half of it on AirBnb, with a 50 % occupancy.  You share the entire apartment 50:50 with your guests (they get one of two bathrooms, half the living room, half the kitchen etc.)  You will deduct from your gross AirBnb income 25% of the rental cost, plus any supplies etc purchased exclusively for the AirBnb part of your dwelling.  Other deductions could include cost of cleaner, laundry, internet used by AirBnb guests.  After you deduct all the expenses you pay taxes on the net.

The only way to not pay taxes is to have expenses equal income.  Or have AirBnb pay your landlord and have him report the income on his tax return.

In the case of a room mate, if you collect the money and pass it along to the landlord you are merely acting as the landlord's agent in transferring the money to him.   In the case of AirBnb you are running a small business out of your home and receiving income for services.

Kerrin

There is no doubt that it is income that should be declared. Remember though that the costs you incure can be offset against that income. You should speak to your tax agent about the breakdown and how much of the apartment is set asisde for Airbnb. 

Vincent10
Level 4
Richmond, Australia

Have a look at the ATO webiste.

As it is income, you need to declare it. The income is paid to you and not your landlord, however you should be able to claim part of your rent as a tax deduction.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/GST/In-detail/Managing-GST-in-your-business/General-guides/The-shari...

Rosemary19
Level 4
Victoria, Australia

It's income which you should declare. And you can claim deductions for any expenses you incurred to earn the income.