Town of Georgina - Ontario - Lake Simcoe meeting for Short Term Rental Accommodations

Alex811
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Town of Georgina - Ontario - Lake Simcoe meeting for Short Term Rental Accommodations

I've just got this from my email: 

https://www.georgina.ca/living-here/municipal-law-enforcement/short-term-rental-accommodations

Short Term Rental Accommodations (STRA) such as those acquired via Airbnb, VRBO, Kijiji etc. are operating worldwide where residents and property owners are renting out rooms or entire units for short periods of time facilitated by online platforms.  STRAs have created an informal economy that typically is not yet regulated.

Like many other municipalities, these STRA’s are also operating in Georgina. Through 2017 and 2018 a number of concerns were  raised by the community in relation to STRA’s including conflict with existing residential uses, noise, safety, parking, environmental overload, zoning, taxation, enforcement etc.

The Town does not currently regulate short term rental accommodations and is working on a long term model that would regulate the presence of the STRAs and address the neighbourhood conflict issues. Staff are conducting extensive research into the matter and public consultation will be a component of the proposed regulations.

As of Friday May 18, 2018, Municipal Law Enforcement has extended hours of operation to address Short Term Rental Accommodation...full notice for details.

Please check back to this page for updates and reports related to Short Term Rental Accommodations.

Updates

Short Term Rental Accommodations Public Information Centre Upcoming July 11, 2018. A meeting for the public to receive information and provide comment on the regulation of Short Term Rental Accommodations (STRA) in the Town of Georgina will take place Wednesday, July 11 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at The ROC Chalet, 26479 Civic Centre Road, Keswick. The Public Information Centre (PIC) will provide a formal presentation as well as opportunity to view information and speak directly with staff. Those who are not able to attend in person, can also share their feedback through the STRA online survey

June 6, 2018 - Report 2018-0007-Regulation of Short Term Rental Accommodations

May 14, 2018 - Short-Term Rental 2018 Summer Municipal Law Enforcement Initiative

February 7, 2018    - Short Term Rental Accommodations – Report No. CAO-2018-0003

February 14, 2018  - Correspondence from Town Solicitor Re: Short Term Rental Accommodations – Interim Control By-Law

February 28, 2018  - 

4 Replies 4
Brenda13
Level 2
Pickering, Canada

Hi Alex (or anybody who can help),

I'm wondering what has happened regarding STRA's?  Have hosts been ordered by the Town of Georgina to stop them, or is there circumstances under which they are allowed?  I have a property in the City of Markham and have received a letter ordering me to cease and desist.  It appears the Town of Georgina has their own rules, but I understood they are a part of the City of Markh am.  I'm not sure how to handle this, so any insight you can provide would help.

Alex811
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Hi Brenda.

I checked the city of Markham website and I found nothing concrete on banning STRA. I think banning it (STRA) is not right. Most of the towns are trying to regulate it, to make STRA on right place. 

Please let me know if you have more information about your case, I'm sure it is helpful.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Alex

Hi Alex,

The letter that I received is very heavy-handed, stating that STRA is not permitted and the cost of failure to comply with the notice is up to $25,000 for an individual.  

I wonder if they are cracking down on STRA's in Markham, there are hundreds of them.   The information I'm getting is that the town council does not want them at all, unlike, as you say, most other towns.

I'm  not sure how to handle this.

Brenda

I made a mistake of buying a 4 bedroom detached house now the mortgage is too much.i am thinkinh of air b n b i real your comment on google plus called city they said no but said grey area abt zoning