Unrecognized Address

Dennis22
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Unrecognized Address

I got a letter saying my address is unrecognized.   I live in my home and am the owner.   I put my address on the app, but now it says Chicago doesn’t recognize it.   I don’t have a registration number.   I came downtown to Business Affairs, but they tell me it’s AirBnBs fault.  He told me they need to relist.  I call AirBnB and they can’t help.   Chicago tells me I have seven days to take down my site. I’ve been hosting two years.   Can anyone help?

92 Replies 92

Same here.  AirBnB isn’t even calling me back.  My major concern are the three guests I have.   I’m afraid if I decline them that I’ll be blocked by AirBnB when I go to create a new listing. 

There shouldn't be any need to decline them.

Carolyn208
Level 9
Chicago, IL

Seriously,  IT IS CLASS ACTION TIME !!

Does anyone know the law group that wants this?  2400 complainants??

This is probably the place to turn to first for advice:

Keep Chicago Livable

https://keepchicagolivable.com/

https://www.facebook.com/keepchicagolivable/

Dennis22
Level 2
Chicago, IL

I once again called Airbnb today for help. The customer service agent told me that she could not help me but she would put in a request for help. I told her that was not acceptable. I told her I have been waiting days. I told her I would wait on hold for a supervisor. After about a half an hour, a supervisor came online and was familiar with the situation in Chicago.  

She walked me through the steps to “unlist”  my unit. If you go under the tab for “listing details”, there are three options. Snooze, deactivate, or unlist. She told me to “unlist”.  This way the city nor anyone else will see my listing. This will allow me to take care of  my current guest. The supervisor at Airbnb also told me to message my guests  and left them know that their reservations are still good, but they will not see my unit if they searched under Airbnb. I then went and re-created another listing. It gave me the option to duplicate my listing. It is my hope that when I submit my address it will work this time. Caution. The address that I manually put in for this duplicated listing did not appear when I was finalizing and  going to submit to the city of Chicago.  It also shortened my ZIP Code and left out the letter N for north.   I had to call AirBnB back to have them manually fix this.   I am copying my address exactly as it appears on my city of Chicago utility bill. I am hoping this works. 

When they helped me, we did not use a duplicate. We recreated the entire thing. When you do it that way, it walks you through the address. Where it says Unit Number it also has Optional! Anyway, we all know now to put the unit number in, not optional.

Jeffrey196
Level 2
Chicago, IL

So I have been on the phone probably 10 times with AirBnb, have an advanced help ticket and was also in contact with someone at BACP in city hall on this issue a week before last Friday. He is now not returning my emails or messages after saying he would work with me. Completely blowing me off. My rejection letter says I have until end of this day to take down the listing.

Even though I have a coach house my legal address in the front house where I live doesn't have a unit number. They rejected me because I didn't select a unit number. I had AirBnB make up unit number but as we all know that doesnt make a difference.

So it sounds like the game plan because AirBnb cant figure it out and the city won't touch it is to "unlist" the listing, then contact all the reservation people about not seeing the listing and then make a new listing with a made up unit number for future renting. Do others in here concure with my plan or is there anything else we can do? Is unlisting it going to really shield it from the city so I can finish the reservations I already have or will I be hit with  $1500 a day fine which would put me in bankrupycy?

The AirBnB supervisor I spoke to today assured me that “unlisitng” it takes it out off the internet (viewing).   She said to not create a new listing just yet because there working in a way to allow you to resubmit your current listing to Chicago for address verification.     She also told me that AirBnB was going to send out emails to Chicago hosts on the next few days. 

Gerry31
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Airbnb is sending out emails to hosts in Chicago to address the situation and re-submit the registration information to the City of Chicago. But hosts need to contact Airbnb Support to make sure the address is correct. I received my email at the end of the day yesterday. Didn't see the email until today because it had gone into spam. First email ever from Airbnb to go into spam! 😞

Has anyone been successful in getting through to Airbnb and kicking off the process they instructed?  The support line still doesn't know what they need to do despite the email telling us to contact them.  My help case via the web is also going unanswered.  

Yes, I think I have...  But we'll never really know for sure until we hear from the City again, maybe a year from now?!  🙂 

The Support person at Airbnb needs to take specific action, not sure what exactly, so I would insist to Support they get you to someone familiar with the Chicago case or get some information on what to do.  

What I did...

1. Ensured both my Listing and Personal Profile address is correct and complete, street direction, apartment number, etc. 

2. Explained to Airbnb Support call was related to the global Chicago issue where many hosts have to delist today unless Airbnb re-submits registration to the City of Chicago. Specifically asked the Support person if he/she was familiar with the issue and the email sent to Chicago hosts last night. In my case I have a very long and detailed history in open internal case with Airbnb. I was on-hold for about 5 minutes while Support person figured out what to do. 

3. Support came back on the line and seemed to understand what was going on. From her comments she eitehr read some of the notes in my case and/or consulted with someone else. She reconfirmed address for the listing and noted in their internal case I was calling to re-submit registration information to City of Chicago. 

4. Supposedly the group/organization handling the issue is going to circle back with me. But this is Airbnb, so I know I'll likely will not hear anything back. Expect I'll have to call again around the end of the month.  

I have gotten a couple emails and support messages clarifying what to do! Has everyone else gotten them?

I got a new link to register my address, but AirBnB stills has it wrong.  I submit the correct address, but whir systems switches it and leaves off the geographic coordinate.  Very frustrating. 

Jeffrey196
Level 2
Chicago, IL

So, I rebmitted my address through this re-registration.....over two months ago. I still have not recieved a response from the city and my listing still says registration pending. Has anybody in here gotten a response after re-registering? Over 2 months seems excessive and its been over 3 months since I started the entire process trying to register my house. Any suggestions or should I just stay quiet?

Carolyn208
Level 9
Chicago, IL

Airbnb is telling me everythin

g is taken care of to just sit tight so I am. Although I don't have a registration from the city I'm not getting any threatening emails either. Let's just continue hosting until they come and burn us down!