Unrecognized Address

Dennis22
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Unrecognized Address

I got a letter saying my address is unrecognized.   I live in my home and am the owner.   I put my address on the app, but now it says Chicago doesn’t recognize it.   I don’t have a registration number.   I came downtown to Business Affairs, but they tell me it’s AirBnBs fault.  He told me they need to relist.  I call AirBnB and they can’t help.   Chicago tells me I have seven days to take down my site. I’ve been hosting two years.   Can anyone help?

92 Replies 92

I just got an email from the city saying:

"You were recently notified that your shared housing registration for the above referenced property, which was originally submitted on your behalf by a short term residential rental intermediary company, required renewal.

You failed to respond to the renewal notification requests. As a result, your shared housing registration has expired. You may not legally rent your unit without a current registration.

Please remove your listing from the platform. Failure to remove your listing is a violation of the municipal code and may result in the issuance of citations and the imposition of fines."

Has airbnb figured out how to re-submit their application??

I think your situation is a little bit defferent then what people on this board have been dealing with. We were all denied because of some silly address issue. About 2500 listings were denied registration because AirBnB and the City of Chicago got into a tussle about the proper way the city wanted our address listed. Finally they allowed a re-registration.....but after re-registering I havent heard a thing for over 2 months. This whole issue is rediculus.

Anyhow....if i was you with your renewal issue I would call AirBnb because the city will not help you. They need to re-new you somehow.

Mimi91
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Catching up on this thread as I got the denied email on 11/2 and need to update my address. What is the final process on how to get this fixed? I've already reached out to customer service and got the "we escalated to legal" spiel. Thanks!

I didn't know that Chicago is sending more of the denial emails, was it a batch again?

I don't believe there is any one way these are getting fixed.  

My situation is that I own a home, which is a 2 flat, but as far as mailing addresses go, 

it is not listed as apt 1, apt 2.  Airbnb said they re-submitted my listing with the #1, #2

distinction to the city.  Which is not to say my registration has beem approved, but I have

not gotten anymore emails from the city either...

Hi Mimi, Good luck with this. I got a SECOND rejection letter a week ago. The address on the letter did not include my apartment number, but Airbnb had apparently resubmitted with my apartment number two months ago. 

Support made another change to my address, because we realized that I had an extra comma (between the street and apartment number). I don't know if that was my fault or Airbnb's fault. Airbnb support told me that they are sending it to their internal team to review, that they will then update my registration to "rejected," so that I can then resubmit. 

In August what happened is that Airbnb finally made an update. Everyone with an issue would go to their "registration" tab in Airbnb, and see "error: there is an issue with your registration...." We got emails with info on how to update our addresses, then, we could click "Apply."

The "Apply" button was only available after they did a software upgrade, and then updated everyone's registration to say that there was an error. 

I currently have an error again, but my registration page is not updated. I cannot click "apply" because Airbnb says that it is still pending. support said that they have sent it to an internal team who will update my registration in 3-5 days. 😞

Vincent423
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Hello, joining in the conversation.
I just got the same rejection due to incomplete address missing the Apt/Unit number.
Airbnb support has indicated they will update my address/registration and I will be able to resubmit.

I currently have delisted my unit. For those that have resubmitted their registration to the city with the correct address, did you have to keep your unit un-listed/snoozed? Or since it is again pending(as opposed to rejected) you can list it on Airbnb once again. It sounds like I will not be creating a new listing and will be using the current one for the re-submission of the registration. (I won't know for sure until I get the email from Airbnb that I can re-submit my registration)

Thanks! -Vince

An update on my status and answered some of my questions.

When I asked to update my address to resubmit my registration, Airbnb customer support indicated I will get an email where I will be able to resubmit my registration through the Airbnb website.

This did not come in the time frame given so I had to call again and got that email the day after. So I suggest calling them to push through the email you need to resubmit.

Upon getting the email, my listing changed from pending and back to a point I can send submit for my registration. Since getting the rejection from the City of Chicago for my registration I have delisted my listing as they asked in the letter to avoid any penalties.

Being extra careful about penalties, I asked if I can re-list after I resubmit the registration. It turns out, to actually resubmit the registration I have to list/activate the listing.

I got the following email when I tried to register but still had my listing inactive/unlisted.
"You’ll need to list your space before you can register with the city"

Rachel788
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Hi all. I am wondering if anyone has had successfully resolutions. We started hosting in September and just got rejected for address reason and still two months later Airbnb giving run around. Thanks

We were finally successful.  The major issue was with AirBnB.  In the process, our address kept getting changed.   It would leave out the N for North or drop the Av for Avenue.   I finally insisted on speaking to a supervisor.   I also took my Chicago utility bill and used that address.   

YAY Dennis !  I know how hard you worked on this....Are you in Andersonville by chance?

Hi Rachel,

If you are not running a "dating service" or listing somebody else's home (sublet), just hang in there. 

Make sure Airbnb specifies exactly your address. I own a home that was turned into a 2 flat,  but my

address didn't specify apt 1, apt 2. The city assesor had my home listed as a 6 or less unit bldg. ...

Stay strong, keep talking to Airbnb, it's up to them to fix.

I am also in the same boat with denied due to incorrect address for missing the apartment number. It was denied a month ago and I tried to correct the address and have Airbnb resubmit the application to the City, and I never got a confirmation on the resubmission. I just got this email from Airbnb today:

I received the same letter thomas. What do you think this is regarding? I actually opened a thread. I am trying to figure out what is the common denominator on this demand. They are looking for non-compliance issues so that they can fine people. 

This was followed, as well, by a denial letter due to an incorrect address. I also had Airbnb correct the address and resubmit, but do not have proof other than a call to correct the information as you are unable to do so from the application or web page. 

Have you all seen the weird insurance requirements in the ordinance?