Urgent: How do I register with the City of Chicago?

Ben160
Level 2
New York, NY

Urgent: How do I register with the City of Chicago?

I recently went to an Airbnb host event where we were reminded that registration with the City of Chicago is due (as of today) in 23 days. Failure to register will result in delisting. Frankly, this caught me pretty off guard, since I have not been getting notifications in my inbox regarding the deadline. It've searched all over Google and the Airbnb webpage for the registration form, but without luck. I also tried reaching out to the event coordinator for help finding the link, but he hasn't been responsive. Does anyone have any idea where I can find the link to the City of Chicago Airbnb registration form? The FAQ states that it can either be filled out using the app or the website, but I have no idea where.

58 Replies 58

That's what mine says as well - I think I filled it out in December of 2016

Hi, mine also is saying "registration pending" - and even though it says it will only take 1-2 weeks to get an answer it has been much longer than that and is still pending. Help! What to do now? 

Thank you - I had contacted Brandon (our representative) who directed me to the CS number - which is a complete waste of time.  I would think Brandon should know this information.

Thank you, Ben. I searched everywhere to find where I needed to go to register, then came across your post and found the spot. 

Oddly, it tells me that my registration is pending -- and I hadn't done anything to get to that point.  Perhaps Airbnb automatically did something?  Mysterious. I hope I don't get de-listed. 

No problem! I find it pretty baffling that just about every user has had a different experience to tell with this whole registration saga. Add yours to the list of oddities - you've been automatically registered! Hears hoping that's the truth.

Hi Ben,

I tried registering with the city of Chicago and got this reply:

Dear Applicant:

The Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection has received your application for a commissioner's adjustment that has been recently submitted. At this time your application will not be processed. Per MCC 4-14-100, a commissioner's adjustment is available to those applications who live in a single family home or a building containing 2-4 units that is not a primary residence who have received a denial of their home share registration . At this time our records reflect that there has been no attempted registration nor any denial. If you wish to list your property on any home share platform please attempt to register through their online portal. This will begin the application process and, if you are denied, your application can then be reviewed. If this information is incorrect please forward me any denial letters or correspondence from the City of Chicago so that any possible error may be corrected. Thank you.

Where exactly on Airbnb do I register? Thanks in advance 

Hey, registration details should be available at the bottom of the listing. I’m not in front of my computer, so I’m not sure if my instructions will apply to their website, but I can tell you how to do it via the app. Go to Listings, then select your listing that you intend to register, and then click Booking Settings. Scroll down to the bottom section, which is labeled Management. In this section, there should be a link to Registration. Click this link to begin the registration process. Hope this helps!

Hi Ben,

I'm trying to follow your instructions without success. I click on Your Listing > Calandar (I don't see Calandar and more) this brings me to my calandar. Noware do I see  "City Registration" I am desparate to get this done. Also, when reading through the Chicago Ordinace I see this. Am I expected to pay at least $5000.? This cant be?

4-5-010 Establishment of license fees. (Omitted text is unaffected by this ordinance) (36) Short Term Residential Rental Intermediary (4-13). . . . . . . $10,000.00, plus a $60.00 per unit fee for each short term residential rental listed on its platform (37) Short Term Residential Rental Advertising Platform (4-13). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $10,000.00, if the intermediary has 1,000 or more short term residential rentals listed on its platform; or $5,000.00, if the intermediary has 999 or fewer short term residential rentals listed on its platform (38) Shared Housing Unit Operator (4-16). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $250.00

Any help would be gratefully received. 

Thanks

Brian

Hey Brian, I’m so sorry I missed this! Looks like I’m a year too late on my reply. Are you still having issues? Did you have any luck registering?

My registration still says pending I am in Jefferson Park and it has been 4 months. Any idea? 

Amanda197
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Hi folks! I registered a few months ago. My status still says "registration pending" - though I received the same email as Ben saying that I needed to register. I am unable to register again, so I'm hoping that my pending status is enough? Is anyone else in the same boat?

Amanda

So you're saying that you are still receiving an email even after you've already registered? That is weird..

Yes - I registered when i first got a request back in december of 2016. I just received an email last week warning me that if I did not register, I would potentially lose my ability to host. i go in to re-register and there isn't a way to - the section says "registration pending" 

Does the email have verbiage in the form of "in the event you have yet to register ..."? If so, then I wouldn't worry about it; it's likely just a stock email sent out to all Chicago hosts, regardless of status (as noted prior, I hadn't received any emails whatsoever regarding registation from Airbnb). Otherwise, it may be worthwhile to reach out to Airbnb or the City of Chicago directly, since you're receiving conflicting information. In situations like these, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Julie_Mike0
Level 7
Chicago, IL

Hey fellow Chicago hosts! Has anyone been approved for the city registration yet? I did mine on 4/2 and it still says pending. I guess I'm not too worried about it since the email I got from Airbnb said, "To keep hosting and accepting guests while you wait, the city requires you post “City registration pending” on your listing." So, as long as we filled out the form, we're okay to keep hosting. Just curious if anyone had seen movement on theirs.