Venice Beach hosting

Miriam143
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Venice Beach hosting

As of December 2017 my venice beach bookings are down, the occupancy tax is making booking way too expensive for guests, and I suspect the market around here is saturated.  I'm forced to lower my three bedroom house down to $175 a night, meanwhile a mediocre hotel room in Palm Springs this month rents for $275 a night.  Anyone wanna weigh in?

5 Replies 5
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Miriam143  Your Venice Beach place looks so inviting!  While your bookings are down what about your viewings?  I notice a couple of trends here in the Palm Springs area.  One, Palm Springs is really promoting a great deal of new adventures or attractions.  In my area, La Quinta, there are several events that attract people from all over the world.  That along with good weather, guests get a lot of bang for the buck.  

For my listing which is not a lovely as yours, I do have more viewings and about the same number of bookings.  There is more competition in my area, but I have tweaked my listing to be attractive for a wider range of potential guests.  

I think experienced and successful hosts can never rest and always have to find new ways to market or appeal.  

Hope all goes better as the season progresses

Joe261
Level 2
LA, CA

I'm seeing something similar in Silver Lake.  I'm competing with properties that aren't equivalent--seems price is the primary driver for a lot of decisions.  I'm hoping the Airbnb Select program will help add a big differentiator for quality spaces and justify the higher nightly rates.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Joe261 my MIL lives in Silverlake and I was going through the listings there and echo park for grins. 

The rates are like $60 a night in Echo Park, **bleep** hipsters. I don’t know how you guys do it. 

‘You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

Mani9
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I am Sorry to hear about Venice Beach, It is such lovely destination too. 

What is the percentage of the tax in Venice.

I love Venice Beach and would think the rate would be higher. I don't think comparing the Venice Beach market to Palm Springs is fair since they are two different markets. Also, this time of year is peak time for the desert. Flip the time frame around to Summer in Venice and think you can command higher rates.

I do totally agree various area are saturated and do believe any money you've lost will be made back starting the Spring. I would push out your availability to six months and secure reservations in advance, then adjust your dates/prices based on demand  accordingly.

Best to you in your endeavors, Darren Chaker