WAR between Condos' apt owners and their building managers about renting room/s in their apt.

Benny22
Level 2
Vaughan, Canada

WAR between Condos' apt owners and their building managers about renting room/s in their apt.

Hi Everybody.

I think it is time to understand that there is an ongoing WAR between Condos apt. owner and their management about Airbnb.

I have a condo in my possession north of Toronto (Thornhill), and I even live in it, for now.

About a month ago, I decided to rent the spare bedroom and bathroom in the apartment in Airbnb.

Today, the manager of the building called me and said that she had heard that I was hosting people by Airbnb. It's probably my tenant, who innocently told about it to the concierge at the entrance.

The principal told me that according to the rules of the building, it is impossible to rent the apartments for a period of less than a year.

When I tried to argue with her, she continued to insist and also hinted that if I wouldn't stop it, she would act through the building's legal lawyers.

Do you know what you can do?

Sincerely

Benny 

7 Replies 7
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Benny22

I do not have a clue about how things operate normally in Canada but they have made pretty specific comments about you only being able to let on an annual basis so I would check your paper work to see what you can and can not do.

David

"I would check your paper work to see what you can and can not do."???  If you are relating to the contract of the condo or the "rulls" - is may be illegal contract too. If someone is signing you to make something illegal or against the common sense - do you have to comply with this un conditionally? 

Amber129
Level 2
Mississauga, Canada

Unfortunately you have to abide by your condos by laws. Condos have their own by laws. All should be set out in your condo documents that typically you obtain if you requested on your purchase agreement to make sure you indeed wanted to live their with their rules. Also every year you get the package. When i owned downtown Toronto there is a form to complete if any other person is living eith you or renting out however it did state they don't allow short term leases. Parking spot i even had to complete paper work. It's mostly due to common elements and just the overall safety. Is it worth all the lawyer fees and headaches if they take you to court? Look into a long term lease would be my suggestion or even talk to a lawyer.

I know it sucks but condos are completely different than freeholds. 

I have a freehold townhouse,  neighbourhood watch program, family friendly area.   I just started.    If I was a condo owner and wanted to do a room or two for a few months... Is that a problem when the condo building has over 100 units.      

Janine3
Level 6
Toronto, Canada

If you are the owner of your condominium unit, you have your own voice with regard to the "rules", which are made by the Condominium's Board.  There are regular Board meetings and an annual general meeting and elections for Board members.  Get involved and work together with other owners.  The "management", i.e., the Property Management company works for the Board.  If you get involved you may understand the rationale for the current rules or you may be able to get them changed. 

Thanks for answering. I understand the rationale for the current rules. Yet, even 3 months rent in Airbnb can fit that rationale. Unfortunately, I leave Canada, and rent out the apt for one year. So, as for now, I couldn't particopart in those meetings or election. Thanks

Have you tried Roomvu photography for your properties? They are reasonably priced, fast turnaround 20 photos for only $99. 

Check out the website for many more intresting offers

https://www.roomvustore.com/photography