Welcome to the Auckland section!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Welcome to the Auckland section!

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the Auckland specific section where you can connect with other hosts in your area and post local discussions, for example, topics on booking trends, general local recommendations, meetups and events.

As always, please remember to keep the Community Center Guidelines in mind also when you interact on this board.

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

27 Replies 27
Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

I'm new to Airbnb. I have an incredible number of bookings coming up. I never thought I'd have this much luck in my area. Is it just the time of year though? Or is Auxkland humming year-round?

Lisa385
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi Roz,

I am new to Airbnb as well and so far it's going ok. Do you know of anyone in Auckland central that would be interested in taking care of my property and guests while I am away on holiday? How do I contact them?

Sincerely,

Lisa

Pied-a-terre

Tashley0
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi Lisa,

You can look for a co-host for while you are away by selecting it when editign your listing. I'm looking for ways to sign up to be a co-host, as it looks like ti would be fun.

Cheers,

Tash

Lisa385
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Oh, and I think Auckland central is always busy with the only slow time of year being about July/August. I used to advertise on holiday houses website and that time of year was the slowest.

Sincerely,

Lisa

Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Lisa385

Im so sorry I missed your question three weeks ago. I must have been on holiday myself.  I dont know of anyone in central Akld that you could use to manage your listing when you are away.  I face the same issue.  Since making superhost Im anxious about leaving it in someone elses hands, but equally I dont want to be tied down! I found a friend of a friend out my way (too far from central) to come in and clean and buy fresh milk etc.  She was great, so I would do that again. I did find that her and another lady took a lot longer to do what I can achieve in a couple of hours, so paying them certainly ate into my "profits".  My plan from now on is to set a specific "rule" on my calendar to only take min 5 night bookings at those times I want to go away. That makes it easier to manage remotely and coorindate. It worked magically for this easter.

Elizabeth282
Level 2
Queenstown, New Zealand

I am new to this and also have a lot of bookings coming in and I am from Queenstown NZ. What is the situation in Auckland about registering with the council and the subsequent fees? We have a maximum of two days of hosting before we must register and we will be inspected. Then there is a rates increase of 25% to the owners of the property. I am nervous about all this and the costs. Elizabeth  

Actually I have similar questions to you and new to AIR BnB (in Auckland). Haven't had many booking yet but guess it will kick off soon so will be good to work out maths/rules/regulations etc. 

Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Wow, a 25% rates inc sounds insane! I had guests stay this week who said they didnt use airbnb in Queenstown because they were all too expensive- I guess this is why.  Many people (Im guessing) are not hosting year round, so it wouldnt be worth it to them.  Ive just done a google search and couldnt find anything like that applying to Akld.  I see airbnb experiences is going to be launched first in Queenstown, so perhaps thats put the spotlight on airbnb down your way?

Sharon161
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi,am new to this as well,looking forward to guests coming in a few days,Im north of Ak city,overlooking the Kaipara harbour with a self contained house.Love to hear the advice of others,cheers Sharon

Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Sharon161 @Lizzie @Serene1 @Elizabeth282 @Lisa385

Hi everyone in Auckland and NZ beyond.

I dont know the answer to these questions about the council and fees etc. I assume different regions have their different regulations.  If Im honest, I havent done much research! I have been thinking just this week that it would be good to get together with some local hosts and talk through issues like this!

Anyone keen? Has anyone learnt anything new they would like to share here since they last posted? We could start a "meet up".

Toni47
Level 2
Hamilton, New Zealand

Hiya,

I'm actually in Hamilton but since there is no group for Hamilton here I am.  Have been doing this since late January and have been pretty busy.  We are learning along the way but not sure what to do about tax and the Ird... Any pointers???

Elizabeth282
Level 2
Queenstown, New Zealand

Hi Toni,

This is what I understand from my accountant.

All income from Airbnb must be part of one's IRD income return. I keep good record of all expenses to put against this. I have a council rate loading of 25% for guest accommodation as part of my expenses plus a proportion of my rates say 40%. Electricity at 40% and so on.

If you go over $60,000 income per year on Airbnb then you must register for GST and charge it to guests. If the place you are using (home or unit?) earns $60,000 or more then you must pay 15% of the sale price to the IRD when it is sold.

Regards, Elizabeth

Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Elizabeth282 @Toni47

Wow 40% electricity. Do you have to justify that in some way? I would think ours accounts for 20%, gauging by how much our power bill has gone up since we started. What about your phone bill? I was planning on meeting with the tax department in the next month or so to get it all on track for the new financial year.

Elizabeth do u use a particular programme to keep all your expenses accounted for etc?

Cheers, Roz

Elizabeth282
Level 2
Queenstown, New Zealand

Hi Roz,

I have an entire space apartment across from the house. As we have one airconditioner and one hot water cylinder just like they do in the apartment and it has been occupied non stop then I will try for 40% of the power bill.

Likewise we have unlimited wifi and netlix two screens and the guests use huge amounts of data much more than us so  think 40% of that bill is fair but this will be my first tax return trying this. I am not sure about my cell phone as part of this.

Regards, Elizabeth