Welcome to the Vancouver section!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Welcome to the Vancouver section!

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the Vancouver specific section where you can post local discussions, for example topics on booking trends, general local recommendations, and information about local businesses and services.

As always, please remember to keep the Community Center Guidelines in mind also when you interact on this board.

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

17 Replies 17
Emily4
Level 1
Calgary, Canada

Hi, Lizzie.

Is there any way to get notifications or alerts when someone posts in the Vancouver section?  I'd love to take part in discussions when they happen.

Thanks!

TTFN
Travis

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Emily4,

Lovely to meet you. I am afraid for this board it isn't possible to subscribe at the moment, but off course this is needed and has been highlighted to the team so I am hoping this will be updated. At the moment, I would recommend to regularly check it and if you reply to anything you can tick the box saying to 'notify me' when someone replies. Also, another little tip is if you use the @ symbol followed by the name of the person in the thread like @Lizzie, then I will get an email notification that you have included me in a post. 

Thanks so much for highlighting this again. Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Cori2
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

Short-term Rentals Survey!
The City of Vancouver wants to know what you think about short-term rentals in Vancouver! 
According to their website "Online accommodation websites like Airbnb and VRBO, which allow people to rent out houses, condos and rooms on a nightly basis, have grown rapidly in recent years. In June 2016 there were more than 5,000 listings on 12 active websites in the Vancouver market. 
In Vancouver, short-term rentals – anything less than 30 days per tenancy – are only allowed in licensed hotels and bed and breakfasts. 
City Council has asked staff to review current rental regulations and look for ways to allow short-term rentals that balance the needs of residents, businesses and other stakeholders. 
This is your opportunity to share your thoughts on short-term rentals! Your feedback will help shape future City policies on this issue.

Here is the link to the survey. Please take 5 mintues to give your feedback.

https://www.talkvancouver.com/S.aspx?s=294&r=tS57xT00pR2Vf50CY9qb9c&so=true&a=696&as=IP3uy65mI7&from...

Scott104
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

I'm a photographer in Vancouver and was wondering how I could work with Airbnb to give people on here amazing photos to showcase their places. How would I go about this?

Bronwen1
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

Hello if i am looking to rent a room in my home do i need to apply for a buissness licence ? Has the city passed a new law ?

Leigh19
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

Can anyone recommend a cleaner that they use - that's also available on weekends?

Thanks in advance

Leigh

Hello...

Check out MOP-n-BUCKET Cleaning Service  

Ask for Gem she takes care of Airbnb Hosts.

Walter69
Level 2
Cleveland, OH

Hi! Thank you! Yes, my guests comment on how they enjoy the flow of the house- I am pretty new so it really is awesome to hear that type of feedback. Are you able to see my listing?

HI hosts, I am wondering if anyone ever had an issue with criminal activity hapening on the host wifi ip address?

No

Hi:  Couldn't agree more re. Airbnb support in Vancouver.  We have delisted for now.  I haven't seen any listings in my area complying with new regs. One thing I do notice is increased competition and lower prices.... BillE

Bill162
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Hi:  It seems to me that the draconian new by-law from the City of Vancouver should be a major topic on this board.  Why is there no response/defence of secondsry suite hosts from Airbnb HQ? If the majority of Airbnb problem rentals are entire homes, THAT IS ENTIRE SUITES and CONDOS, why is the city going after homeowners who rent SECONDARY SUITES (in their own homes) on a part time basis?  These suites  are used by family members and friends when not rented and will NOT go on the full time rental market no matter what.  This is about controlling what happens in one's own home.  REPEAT : will not be rented on a full time basis EVER. The plan to put us out of business is a lose, lose, lose proposition: we will lose the extra income which allows us to stay in our home, our guests will lose a family friendly, clean and affordable place to stay when visiting Vancouverand the restaurants and businesses in our area will lose too.  By the way , there are no hotels in this area, so who are we hurting?

Pat-And-Walter0
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Does anyone have specific information - either from the City of Vancouver or from Airbnb - what/ when the new occupancy tax regulation will kick in? Specifically, will it be applied retroactively to existing reservations that have already been paid?

Mary810
Level 2
Vancouver, CA

Hi @Lizzie, @Pat-And-Walter0 @Bill0 in Vancouver

Airbnb has been remarkably silent as to what hosts should do about reservations after April 1st.  I have heard that there is a $1000 per day fine and that the city is primarily going after secondary suites, not the multiple listing apartment hosts!?  One thing is I heard is to make sure you don't have a photograph of the outside of your house on your listing.  We like @Bill0 in Vancouver use our secondary suite for visiting family and Airbnb when not needed for family and our apartment will never be rented out full time.  I wish there was more guidance from Airbnb.