What does "host has to be present" for Airbnb in the NYC regulations for rentals under 31 days?

What does "host has to be present" for Airbnb in the NYC regulations for rentals under 31 days?

NY City requires that a host be "present" in NYC. Is there a definition of "present"? Does that mean an hour a day, sleep there, always there? I cannot find out who to call in NYC government to get clarification. Does anyone have an accurate definition of this requirement?

11 Replies 11

I haven't seen an exact definition to your question although there was a case you can find on CNET.

search for "NY official: Airbnb stay illegal; host fined $2,400')" it is on CNET I believe AirBnb also sent lawyers.

The host met the guest left for three days while his room mate stayed and still fined the host because the guest did not have complete run of the apartment.  The judge stated the guest needs to be treated as a member of the household and have access to the whole space including the other bedrooms.

Access to the whole space seems to be the governing factor, you should consult a lawyer though.

that judge sounds weird because a monthly roommate has the run of the whole apartment but why would any guest?  does a hotel guest have access to all the other rooms? 

It sounds pretty fishy the way the cases are ruled against hosts in NYC - sometimes breaking basic recognition of corporate building owners as separate entities from individual shareholders.  There are all kinds of things that I am not sure are legal.

Inspector Chung took pictures of the fact that my bedroom doors do not lock and asked if the guests had use of the common areas but he still said I was an illegal hotel.  Since I started hosting, guests and roommates have not only had access to my bedroom BUT they have also used other bedrooms in the apartment FOR FREE and one guest stayed in the living room for free and another guest came back after being robbed in San Francisco and stayed FOR FREE. 

I don't know how that makes me an illegal hotel but I cannot argue with the FACT that I don't have sprinklers, a wired fire alarm and secondary egress.  I did not know but Inspector Chung said "as you know."   

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Call 311 to see if maybe if they have the answer

they anti airbnb advocates and the govt will NOT tell you.  I tried to get answers on April 15th by twitter and they all ignored me. 

It does not actually matter if you live there like I do.  DOB inspector Chung said I am still an illegal hotel. 

They don't tell you that even if you live there, you are still a hotel and that is illegal especially if you do not have sprinklers, a wired fire alarm system and secondary egress. 

The articles pretend it is about the "evil" hotel industry not letting guests save money instead of emphasizing the safety issues - this makes all hosts look bad by design - that we are so greedy that we would put safety behind illegal hosting.  I have stopped hosting and have found it impossible to find a roommate so I am very worried but it doesn't change the fact that I can never host again in this building because of the lack of safety elements.   Also, Inspector Chung said I would still be a hotel if I had monthly roommates unless they were on a lease.  That is terrible news and contradicts what they tell us in the press about having roommates who are not on the lease. 

I am not trying to ruin hosting but I personally cannot do it since the FDNY Inspector Brown said gently and sadly, "It is about safety"  - it's like someone telling you not to drive drunk and not risk killing three babies.   How can you argue with that?

I think some of the condo owners in NYC can legally host because their newer buildings have those safety elements so airbnb hosting belongs to those few hosts.  But a house probably does not have a sprinkler system.

I think NYC is hypocritical and is intentionally not going after every host because there is a benefit to the real estate industry.  I want airbnb to stay because I need the exposure to find subtenants and roommates who want to be on the lease because the other options are no good.   Not only should all hosts register but all GUESTS identities should be filed with NYPD.    I don't see the problem for airbnb letting the city do this since airbnb has already agreed to it in other cities.    It's not a big deal for airbnb to allow it. 

There are so many microaggressions BY GUESTS who are in your HOME and basically know that you are so desperate financially that you would actually let some stranger into your home.  

Karen831
Level 2
New York, NY

I am actually celebrating my second dismissal from OATH.  I’m sure they are going to appeal,  I have appeared 6 times in OATH Hearings Division w/ Inspector Vaklinov.  March 13, 2019 will be one year I have been in court. 

The bottom line is 90%,  maybe even 98%  of Airbnb hosts are operating illegally. But that 2% doesn’t have a chance in court either  if the mayors office has anything to do with it. It’s a witchhunt! The mayors office have even been cited as  saying “ he’d rather see NY’ers on public assistance than doing home sharing. It has been 10 months  since Inspector Vaklinov came to my door & he’s still stating , when he testifies, that he remembers me & every thing he saw & that was said even though they take NO NOTES, NO RECORDINGS & NO NOTATIONS AT THE END OF THE DAY. But he remembers it all crystal clear... lol

i have overhead sprinklers, a wired fire alarm system to the fire department and secondary egress. I also brought blueprints of the building showing the internal staircase to my downstairs where I reside when I have guests. Including rental pics from 2011 from the internet ( the ad I rented my loft from ) pulled up on my phone in the court office to show the judge 

that i have an internal staircase. And still the DOB lawyer tries to say there’s no sharing going on.  

And that’s what they don’t tell you, on your first visit the inspector will not show up. They will ask you if you’d like to pay your fine or come back at another date to state your case against the inspector. At no time do they tell you that the inspector will be showing up represented by a DOB attorney.

The attorney that appeared for this dismissal was just a guy there doing his job. The first attorney was trying this case like it was the death penalty. He fought with the judge on every word he said… LOL 

The bottom line is the hotel industry donated the money to the mayors budget to put this Anti AirBnB task force in place.  They don’t give you straight answers and will not make a clear and concise guideline on what is the legal way to run AirBnB  because they do not want it here.  You would think they would be happy that many Hosts have dropped out since their gorilla tactics. But no they want it out of NY 100%. 

Im sure they will appeal this decision as well. But I’m happy to go in fighting again!

Airbnb saved my home when I was going thru radiation treatment after cancer. 

The biggest thing they are getting hosts on Is occupancy. In New York you are only allowed to host 2 Guests no matter what size apartment you have.  And that’s in black-and-white you cannot fight that.  I do believe Airbnb should make it a two person maximum to make it a fair playing field since that is the law.

If they come to your door I would videotape them with your phone so you have the entire conversation as it happened.  In my case the inspector told the judge that he asked me where do I go when I have guests and I answered oh I travel extensively.  Luckily I had medical records to show them that I was sickly enough I was traveling nowhere. And what put me over the top was that I had documentation that I had a medical aid that came to my house and the dates matched the dates I had guests. What he actually said was “ what’s down there? “ because he saw the staircase from the front door. When they knocked I had no idea who or why they were knocking on my door. There was 3/4 men with badges around there necks I thought something was wrong at the time I hadn’t even heard about them. And if I did I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong because I was in the apartment when the guests stayed.  The one thing that played to their favor was I did say somewhere that nothing is shared. I had seen a few ads where the hosts advertised private house but in the ad it said they had to share a kitchen or bathroom. I have a loft that’s a duplex so they can be alone & private if they choose. Downstairs I have my own door in & out of apt & my own full bath.

They make a case against you that’s hard to argue with.  Most people can prove that they weren’t home  but it’s hard to prove that you were home… LOL believe me I called the phone co. To see if they could see my phone being at my address, no luck. I tried to print out my seamless record  to show I had food delivered charged to my personal credit card. But by the time I thought of it I was on my 2nd go round. My case had been dismissed. The judge was so angry with the DOB lawyer after 3.4 hours of all of us arguing he dismissed the ticket on the first 3 mins of testimony, the inspector didn’t fill out the min & max fine on the ticket. They had the police serve me with the same exact ticket again, so by this time it was August & the seamless records don’t go back that far. So be smart keep any records that will show 100% you are on the premises when your guests are. 

I went in there fighting for my life!!!!  Because when they ticket you  they also ticket your landlord for housing a illegal  transient hotel.  So the Only way  to get your landlord out of the ticket is for you to be found a legal Airbnb or your case dismissed.  So if I was found guilty my landlord could’ve said I broke lease & evicted me.

So in the end the mayor doesn’t care if this ruins your life your credit getting thrown out of your Apartment. And if your turning over your apt & leaving while guests are there then you have no defense, it’s subletting & that’s against every nyc lease 

WOOOW @Karen831 THANK UUUU for this detailed and rare insider info from DOB-Court hearings!!!

I agree 100% and its so important to make yourself a expert in NYC short term law and regulations!

It took me a long time of recharge to get all important informations together to do HOME-SHARING with as less headache as possible. I see that your last review is from Mai 18, did you gave up your hosting?

All the best to U, Andre

Karen831
Level 2
New York, NY

This is Karen again,  I wrote about my experience about a month ago. Someone asked am I  still hosting? I’m sorry to say no I’m not because  believe it or not I’M STILL IN COURT!!!!

Yes that’s right I received my second dismissal and the mayors office of special enforcement is appealing the judges decision. I wish I could show people a picture of this document. It came in a  small personal, every day person kind of envelope. They had to fold the document up in the strangest fashion to get it to fit in the envelope. This man actually licked a stamp and put it on.  Even as a Corcoran real estate agent in New York City  I don’t stamp envelopes.  In the mail room we have a metered machine that you put the envelope on, it’s weighed and the machine prints the postage on the envelope.  Do you believe that the mayors office of special enforcement doesn’t have official envelopes? I think they were hoping that it would somehow get mixed with junk mail. I wouldn’t see the envelope and be concerned. Hoping that I just would never know this was happening and not show up.

There are three spaces that they have checked off and one space they initialed,  it looks like they’ve done this in black crayon. Again I wish you could see it, I might actually put a copy of it on my ad if Airbnb lets me  because it’s so hard to believe.

So after two dismissal  they are appealing the judges decision from the last court date.  They say  “  The hearing officer’s decision contains errors of  fact and law “

I have never been notified of the appeal. I have been told that I should’ve been notified by some sort of  Service, whether that be in person or by mail with return receipt. I have never received anything until this document today requesting an extension of time for their appeal.

I have been calling the lawyer, Brian Krist,  to be sent proof of service. So far I have no reply. When I looked up this attorney’s name, as you can, Brian Krist.

In a Google search he is listed as the attorney for the police review board in 2015 on the Eric Garner case.  Here in New York this was a case that was all over the news every night. This man Eric Garner,  A large black man,  I say this because it played an important part of the case. This man was held in a chokehold by 4/5 officers and brought to the ground. When he kept telling them he couldn’t breathe  no one paid any attention.  Even though this man had asthma and was a great deal over weight  still no one listened when he kept saying I can’t breathe. 

I’m sorry to say that Mr. Garner died as a result of this arrest .

So you can see I find it hard to believe that me and my Airbnb case,  where I actually live in the house where the people were visiting as the law states,  I just can’t believe that this is the attorney who I have to go into court and argue against  for Airbnb.

I will say it again, NYC will never find anyone not guilty when it comes to Airbnb!!!

has anyone found a good lawyer for this mayors task force problem? I am so shocked by these mafia tactics in town. I also rad somewhere that they are targeting super hosts since they were the biggest earners.

We now have to rent our apartment normally which wont cover the mortgage... might have to sell our house. Anyone with a house that managed to find a solution?

Vanessa

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Karen831  It's truly insane the way NYC has gone about its attempts to eradicate airbnb, especially considering all the constant discussions about affordable housing, but they don't seem to care that airbnb has helped people afford to live in the city, but it seems they don't care if they ruin your life or ensnare actually innocent landlords, they are committed to destroying this business model.  Crazy.